RLC series circuit: Determine C so that P.F.=X

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
15 replies · 3K views
EVriderDK
Messages
55
Reaction score
0
Hey.

If a a circuit is too inductive, and has a power factor of 0.6, how would i find a capacitor in series or parallel that would give a power factor of 0.8?

I think that i could do it with 3 equations and 3 unkowns like this:

1: Q=XL*I^2
Z=X*I^2
2: tan(P/Q)=[itex]\varphi[/itex]
tan(P/Z)=Y
3: cos(Y)=0.8

Then solve for X and Y and Z?

Please help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
EV,

What are your knowns? R? L? Frequency? What?

Ratch
 
I found out. See pic :)
 
Attachments
  • PFC.jpg
    PFC.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 494
EV,

What is L? What is R? How about a phasor diagram.

Ratch
 
Ratch

L is the size of the inductor (self inductance), and R is the size of the resistor (resistance)

L would be L=(Q/(I^2))/(2*∏*f) Where Q/(I^2) = X_L the inductive reactance
R would be P/(I^2)
 
Last edited:
EV,

So if you know the inductive reactance Xl, and the resistance R, and they compute to a power factor of 0.6, can you firgure out what the reduction in inductive reactance should be to get a 0.8 power factor?

Ratch
 
Well, when XL change, Q change, and when R change, P change, so that should be possible.

I cannot see how though.
 
EV,

Installing a compensating cap does not change R. I think you need to study the theory behind the power factor some more.

Ratch
 
Ratch.

I know, as you can see in the picture. P stays the same.

If P does not change, then R does not change.
 
EV,

I know, as you can see in the picture. P stays the same.

What picture?

If P does not change, then R does not change.

What is P, the apparent power?

Ratch
 
PFC.jpg in #3

No. S is apparent, Q is reactive and P is the effective
 
EVriderDK said:
PFC.jpg in #3

No. S is apparent, Q is reactive and P is the effective
Here's the figure !

attachment.php?attachmentid=48504&d=1340232919.jpg
 
EV,

A power triangle diagram would have been nice. I just noticed, the page you referenced gives the solution you want. C = 2.422 uf in the lower right corner. What else do you want to know?

Ratch
 
Ratch said:
EV,

A power triangle diagram would have been nice. I just noticed, the page you referenced gives the solution you want. C = 2.422 uf in the lower right corner. What else do you want to know?

Ratch

Nothing. As i wrote, i found out :)
 
SammyS,

Call it a figure if you wish. That is a list of values for a bunch of undefined quantities. It wasn't until he explained which quantities defined the power triangle that I understood how everything was related, and the answer was already present.

Ratch
 
Ratch said:
SammyS,

Call it a figure if you wish. That is a list of values for a bunch of undefined quantities. It wasn't until he explained which quantities defined the power triangle that I understood how everything was related, and the answer was already present.

Ratch

Sorry, thourght P, Q and S was standard.