RLC series circuit: Determine C so that P.F.=X

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a capacitor in series or parallel to improve the power factor of a circuit that is too inductive. The process involves using three equations and three unknowns, including the inductive reactance (XL) and resistance (R). It is necessary to understand the theory behind power factor and the relationship between apparent power (S), reactive power (Q), and effective power (P). A figure showing the solution is referenced, but the necessary quantities are not defined until later in the conversation. Ultimately, the solution is found to be a capacitance of 2.422uf.
EVriderDK
Hey.

If a a circuit is too inductive, and has a power factor of 0.6, how would i find a capacitor in series or parallel that would give a power factor of 0.8?

I think that i could do it with 3 equations and 3 unkowns like this:

1: Q=XL*I^2
Z=X*I^2
2: tan(P/Q)=[itex]\varphi[/itex]
tan(P/Z)=Y
3: cos(Y)=0.8

Then solve for X and Y and Z?

Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
EV,

What are your knowns? R? L? Frequency? What?

Ratch

I found out. See pic :)

Attachments

• PFC.jpg
    PFC.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 418
EV,

What is L? What is R? How about a phasor diagram.

Ratch

Ratch

L is the size of the inductor (self inductance), and R is the size of the resistor (resistance)

L would be L=(Q/(I^2))/(2*∏*f) Where Q/(I^2) = X_L the inductive reactance
R would be P/(I^2)

Last edited:
EV,

So if you know the inductive reactance Xl, and the resistance R, and they compute to a power factor of 0.6, can you firgure out what the reduction in inductive reactance should be to get a 0.8 power factor?

Ratch

Well, when XL change, Q change, and when R change, P change, so that should be possible.

I cannot see how though.

EV,

Installing a compensating cap does not change R. I think you need to study the theory behind the power factor some more.

Ratch

Ratch.

I know, as you can see in the picture. P stays the same.

If P does not change, then R does not change.

EV,

I know, as you can see in the picture. P stays the same.

What picture?

If P does not change, then R does not change.

What is P, the apparent power?

Ratch

PFC.jpg in #3

No. S is apparent, Q is reactive and P is the effective

EVriderDK said:
PFC.jpg in #3

No. S is apparent, Q is reactive and P is the effective
Here's the figure !

attachment.php?attachmentid=48504&d=1340232919.jpg

EV,

A power triangle diagram would have been nice. I just noticed, the page you referenced gives the solution you want. C = 2.422 uf in the lower right corner. What else do you want to know?

Ratch

Ratch said:
EV,

A power triangle diagram would have been nice. I just noticed, the page you referenced gives the solution you want. C = 2.422 uf in the lower right corner. What else do you want to know?

Ratch

Nothing. As i wrote, i found out :)

SammyS,

Call it a figure if you wish. That is a list of values for a bunch of undefined quantities. It wasn't until he explained which quantities defined the power triangle that I understood how everything was related, and the answer was already present.

Ratch

Ratch said:
SammyS,

Call it a figure if you wish. That is a list of values for a bunch of undefined quantities. It wasn't until he explained which quantities defined the power triangle that I understood how everything was related, and the answer was already present.

Ratch

Sorry, thourght P, Q and S was standard.

1. What is an RLC series circuit?

An RLC series circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C) connected in series. It is commonly used in electronic devices such as radios and amplifiers.

2. How do you determine the value of C in an RLC series circuit to achieve a desired power factor (P.F.)?

To determine the value of C, you can use the formula C = 1/(2πfX), where π is the mathematical constant pi, f is the frequency of the circuit, and X is the desired power factor. This will give you the capacitance needed in Farads (F).

3. What is the purpose of achieving a specific power factor in an RLC series circuit?

The power factor in an RLC series circuit is a measure of the efficiency of the circuit. A power factor of 1 (or 100%) means that all of the energy supplied to the circuit is used effectively, while a lower power factor indicates that some of the energy is being wasted. By determining the value of C to achieve a desired power factor, you can improve the efficiency of the circuit.

4. How does the value of C affect the power factor in an RLC series circuit?

The value of C directly affects the power factor in an RLC series circuit. As the value of C increases, the power factor also increases, meaning the circuit becomes more efficient. Conversely, as the value of C decreases, the power factor decreases, making the circuit less efficient.

5. What are some common applications of RLC series circuits?

RLC series circuits have a wide range of applications, including in electronic filters, oscillators, voltage regulators, and amplifiers. They are also commonly used in AC power systems to improve power factor and reduce energy waste.