1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rms velocity of electron in free space?

1. Mar 19, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How many orders of magnitude smaller is the average drift velocity of a hole than the RMS thermal velocity of an electron moving in free space? (Use the law of equipartition to find the RMS thermal velocity of a free electron.)

This is the last part of the problem, I have already found the drift velocity to be 2.5 x 10-4

2. Relevant equations
    vrms = √3kT/m
    This is for an ideal gas, so I'm not sure if it applies.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know I need to find the energy of an electron, but I can't seem to find anything about how to calculate that in a vacuum, just how to find it based on pressure and temperature.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Electrons in free space are close to a perfect gas. You can probably assume room temperature.

4. Mar 19, 2016 #3
    Ok, with those assumptions I get 110,000 m/s, which is 9 orders of magnitude higher than the drift velocity. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted