Robert Adams textbook: Acceleration example

In summary, the conversation discusses the steps to derive acceleration using equations for velocity and acceleration. The speaker expresses difficulty in understanding the steps and suggests that some textbooks could be better at providing detailed explanations. The other speaker agrees and mentions that reading multiple books on the same topic can help fill in any gaps.
bigmike94
TL;DR Summary
Not sure on last step.
I need a little guidance on how they got the last step to derive acceleration, I can follow up till there. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I find it hard to move on unless I have understood.

4E34D09F-10D4-4BFB-9B86-BC951FEE73BA.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
##v=\dfrac{dx}{dt}(i + 2xj)## and ##a=\dfrac{dv}{dt}.## So
\begin{align*}
a&\stackrel{def}{=}\dfrac{d}{dt}\left(\dfrac{dx}{dt}\cdot (i + 2xj)\right)\\
&\stackrel{\text{product rule}}{=}\dfrac{d^2}{dt^2}x \cdot (i + 2xj) + \dfrac{dx}{dt} \dfrac{d}{dt}(i + 2xj)\\
&=\dfrac{d^2}{dt^2}x \cdot (i + 2xj) + \dfrac{dx}{dt}\cdot\underbrace{\dfrac{d}{dt} i}_{=0}+\dfrac{dx}{dt}\cdot 2j\cdot \dfrac{d}{dt}x\\
&=\dfrac{d^2}{dt^2}x \cdot (i + 2xj) + 2j\left(\dfrac{dx}{dt}\right)^2
\end{align*}

Likes Delta2, bigmike94 and jedishrfu
fresh_42 said:
##v=\dfrac{dx}{dt}(i + 2xj)## and ##a=\dfrac{dv}{dt}.## So
\begin{align*}
a&\stackrel{def}{=}\dfrac{d}{dt}\left(\dfrac{dx}{dt}\cdot (i + 2xj)\right)\\
&\stackrel{\text{product rule}}{=}\dfrac{d^2}{dt^2}x \cdot (i + 2xj) + \dfrac{dx}{dt} \dfrac{d}{dt}(i + 2xj)\\
&=\dfrac{d^2}{dt^2}x \cdot (i + 2xj) + \dfrac{dx}{dt}\cdot\underbrace{\dfrac{d}{dt} i}_{=0}+\dfrac{dx}{dt}\cdot 2j\cdot \dfrac{d}{dt}x\\
&=\dfrac{d^2}{dt^2}x \cdot (i + 2xj) + 2j\left(\dfrac{dx}{dt}\right)^2
\end{align*}
You legend! I know it might be pretty obvious to some but it really can’t be difficult for a textbook to show a few more steps, for slower people like myself. Ron larsons textbook is really good for showing steps I’ve noticed.

Thank you again! I can finally go to bed

Likes Delta2 and fresh_42
bigmike94 said:
I know it might be pretty obvious to some but it really can’t be difficult for a textbook to show a few more steps, for slower people like myself. Ron larsons textbook is really good for showing steps I’ve noticed.
Yes some textbooks are better than others on providing step by step solutions but if every textbook was going to show detailed step by step solutions for every problem and every proof then textbooks would be 3000-5000 pages long instead of the usual 300-500 pages.

Not every problems but in a worked example it’s not hard to put in brackets on the same line “product rule”. It helps for people with bad memory like me

Likes Delta2
Well ok don't worry I understand, I also during my youth was complaining about books "this book doesn't explain this topic in full detail" "it omits too many non obvious steps" e.t.c. but oh well growing up I realized this is the world we living and those are the books we get e hehe.

Delta2 said:
Well ok don't worry I understand, I also during my youth was complaining about books "this book doesn't explain this topic in full detail" "it omits too many non obvious steps" e.t.c. but oh well growing up I realized this is the world we living and those are the books we get e hehe.
They’re good books don’t get me wrong I love them and I realize it is my own fault, this is why I have started reading multiple books on each chapter. It seems to help a tonne

Likes Delta2
Yes well some books are much better than others but there isn't the perfect book. Its not exactly your fault if you can't find some step, this step might be not so obvious to you as it is to others and to the book author. Reading multiple books helps on that cause a book might provide some steps and explanation that are omitted by the other.

Likes bigmike94

1. What is the main concept behind Robert Adams' textbook on acceleration?

The main concept behind Robert Adams' textbook is to provide a comprehensive understanding of acceleration and its applications in various fields of science and engineering.

2. How does Robert Adams explain acceleration in his textbook?

Robert Adams explains acceleration as the rate of change of velocity over time. He also discusses the different types of acceleration, such as linear, angular, and centripetal.

3. What are some real-life examples of acceleration discussed in Robert Adams' textbook?

Some real-life examples of acceleration discussed in Robert Adams' textbook include a car speeding up or slowing down, a roller coaster going around a loop, and a satellite orbiting around the Earth.

4. Is Robert Adams' textbook suitable for beginners in the field of physics?

Yes, Robert Adams' textbook is suitable for beginners as it starts with the basics of acceleration and gradually builds upon the concepts. The explanations are clear and easy to understand, making it a great resource for beginners.

5. Does Robert Adams' textbook provide practice problems for better understanding of acceleration?

Yes, Robert Adams' textbook includes numerous practice problems and examples throughout the chapters to help readers apply the concepts of acceleration and solidify their understanding.