Robotics and Automation of a Robotic Arm

In summary, JW is planning to automate a robotic arm in his school's Instrumentation and Controls lab for his senior project. He is seeking suggestions and literature on the steps he should take to get the project started. JW is also considering building the arm from scratch, but is currently looking to automate an existing one. He will gather more information and provide updates on the PF forum.
JohnielWhite
Good day everyone:

I am planning on automating a robotic arm that is in my school's Instrumentation and Controls lab for my senior project, but I would like to know what are the things that I would have to take into consideration.
What are the Steps that I would have to take to get this project started? Please offer your suggests and share whatever literature or idea that you believe may be useful. You responses will be greatly appreciated.

Regards;
JW

Physics news on Phys.org
JohnielWhite said:
Good day everyone:

I am planning on automating a robotic arm that is in my school's Instrumentation and Controls lab for my senior project, but I would like to know what are the things that I would have to take into consideration.
What are the Steps that I would have to take to get this project started? Please offer your suggests and share whatever literature or idea that you believe may be useful. You responses will be greatly appreciated.

Regards;
JW

What kind of robotic arm is it? It already exists, and you are adding some capability to it? Or are you looking to design and build one from scratch?

When you say "automating", what processor are you going to use? What inputs will the processor have coming from the arm and any video feeds? What is the arm supposed to be able to do?

I don't have an answer to all the the questions you asked as it was just an idea I had. However your questions have given me a foundation on which to start. I will get all the information and post them on the PF as soon as possible. What I do have are images of the robotic arm in my school's lab which I plan one automating. I was thinking of building one from scratch but after reading the literature on "Society of Robotics" website of how to build a robotic arm I decided to take an alternative route by automating the one that already exists. If I am having difficulties with the robotic arm in my school's lab I would not have a problem to try making one from scratch.

Attachments

• IMG_1535.jpg
    IMG_1535.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_1539.jpg
    IMG_1539.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_1541.jpg
    IMG_1541.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 444
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a robotic arm?

A robotic arm is a mechanical arm that is designed to perform tasks that a human arm can do, such as lifting, moving, and manipulating objects. It can be controlled by a computer or programmed to operate autonomously.

2. How does a robotic arm work?

A robotic arm is made up of multiple joints and links, which are connected by motors and sensors. The motors control the movement of the arm, while the sensors provide feedback to the computer, allowing it to adjust and control the arm's movements.

3. What are the benefits of using a robotic arm?

There are many benefits to using a robotic arm, including increased efficiency, accuracy, and productivity. It can also perform tasks that are dangerous or difficult for humans, and can work continuously without breaks.

4. What is the role of automation in a robotic arm?

Automation is a key component of a robotic arm, as it allows the arm to operate without human intervention. The arm can be programmed to perform tasks automatically, reducing the need for human supervision.

5. What are some common applications of robotics and automation in a robotic arm?

Robotics and automation are used in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, healthcare, and agriculture. Some common applications of robotics and automation in a robotic arm include assembly and packaging in factories, performing surgeries in hospitals, and harvesting crops in agriculture.