Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rocket Engine Combustion Chamber Equations

1. Sep 20, 2008 #1
    Good evening all,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to point me in the right direction to equations in regards to designing a proper combustion chamber for a rocket engine, as well as for the throat/De Laval nozzle as well. I've looked around and I can't seem to find anything that covers the actual dimensions of the chamber.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2
    I don't think things are just as easy as using equations & feeding numbers for designing purpose.
  4. Sep 21, 2008 #3

Staff: Mentor

This might be useful.

NASA Marshall used a program called RAMP to analyze nozzle designs. I would expect Rocketdyne (now part of United Technologies/Pratt & Whitney) used their own proprietary code.

Search Google or other search engine with "SSME","nozzle"

The SSME uses an H2-rich mixture.

AIAA has a number of books on propulsion, including some description of combustion chambers, throats, and nozzles.
  5. Sep 21, 2008 #4
    Thanks, I know there are equations to make a proper combustion chamber though. I know that the chamber needs to be a certain length and diameter in relation to the nozzle.
  6. Sep 21, 2008 #5

Staff: Mentor

One could take a cross-section and simply plot diameter or radius of nozzle as a function of distance from throat.

For SSME -
    Area Ratio: 69:1
    Chamber Pressure: 2,994 psia
    Engine Mixture Ratio: 6.0 (IIRC, mass O2/mass H2)

Length: 168 in.
    Diameter: 96 in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?