What is the origin and meaning of the word rocket?

In summary: The word rocket comes from the Italian rocchetta, literally, small distaff, from diminutive of rocca distaff, of Germanic origin; akin to Old High German rocko distaff.
Matt-STIPA
I was wondering if there is an actual definition given by a recognised organisation over what is meant by the word "rocket". In case there is not, I wanted to reflect upon what do we really mean when we say rockets.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think it might matter?

I would say it is a vehicle that carries all of its own fuel, and pushes gas out of its engine for propulsion but I don't really know.

I think we need to add the oxidiser to the fuel if we are to say it is a rocket.

Bandit127 said:
I think we need to add the oxidiser to the fuel if we are to say it is a rocket.
Why does it have to be oxidation? Why does it have to be a chemical reaction?

A.T. said:
Why does it have to be oxidation? Why does it have to be a chemical reaction?

Good point! I suppose a cannon could also act as a rocket.

Now *this* is a rocket! :biggrin:

http://www.phys.unt.edu/~klittler/demo_room/mech_demos/WaterRocket.jpg
WaterRocket.jpg

Hoophy said:
I suppose a cannon could also act as a rocket.
I'm not sure it fits the definition, but maybe that's where the word "Rocket" came from. I understand that Neanderthals did hunt birds by throwing rocks, and they were in the process of developing a primitive language and grammar. It became a common battle cry when they attacked a flock of birds, "Rock It!" :wink:

https://chasingsabretooths.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/neanderthal-throwing-rock.jpg
neanderthal-throwing-rock.jpg

Last edited:
Likes Hoophy
berkeman said:
I'm not sure it fits the definition, but maybe that's where the word :"Rocket" came from. I understand that Neanderthals did hunt birds by throwing rocks, and they were in the process of developing a primitive language and grammar. It became a common battle cry when they attacked a flock of birds, "Rock It!" :wink:

https://chasingsabretooths.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/neanderthal-throwing-rock.jpg
neanderthal-throwing-rock.jpg

I'm not entirely sure what was going through my mind when I said that, perhaps I was thinking of the cannon ball as the reaction mass and the recoil as the reaction. I could have done better. :)
jtbell said:
Why do you think it might matter?
This is a good question.

The word *rocket* means Wernher von Braun where I'm from... :biggrin:

SV_zpsj29orhpt.jpg

Likes berkeman
Matt-STIPA said:
I was wondering if there is an actual definition given by a recognised organisation over what is meant by the word "rocket". In case there is not, I wanted to reflect upon what do we really mean when we say rockets.
When I was younger we used a thing called a dictionary to answer such questions. Some dictionaries are produced by "recognised organisations". These days you make a few mouse clicks...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket

Likes Hoophy, Mark44 and berkeman
First known use was in 1530.
Origin and Etymology of the word Rocket : Italian rocchetta, literally, small distaff, from diminutive of rocca distaff, of Germanic origin; akin to Old High German rocko distaff
Rocket, a firework consisting of a case partly filled with a combustible composition fastened to a guiding stick and propelled through the air by the rearward discharge of the gases liberated by combustion.

What is the definition of a rocket?

A rocket is a vehicle or device that uses stored propellant to produce thrust and propel itself through the atmosphere or outer space.

What is the purpose of a rocket?

The primary purpose of a rocket is to transport objects or humans to space. Rockets are also used for launching satellites, conducting scientific research, and exploring other planets.

What are the different types of rockets?

There are several types of rockets, including solid fuel rockets, liquid fuel rockets, and hybrid rockets. Solid fuel rockets use a solid propellant, while liquid fuel rockets use a liquid propellant. Hybrid rockets combine elements of both solid and liquid propellants.

What are the main components of a rocket?

The main components of a rocket include the propulsion system, which produces thrust; the payload, which is the object or cargo being carried; the guidance system, which controls the direction and trajectory of the rocket; and the structure, which holds all the components together.

How do rockets work?

Rockets work based on Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. The rocket's propulsion system produces thrust by expelling hot gases at high speeds, pushing the rocket in the opposite direction. This thrust propels the rocket through the atmosphere and into space.