Rockets and inverted pendulums

In summary, rockets are not flipped over by thrusters because they can be balanced by turning the motors and using a system of higher order filters for stability. At sea level, rockets without speed cannot be stabilized by fins or wings, but missiles flying horizontally at high speed can be. New year rockets are stable with fixed motors because the motor is placed at the top of the rocket. The center of pressure is further to the ground than the center of mass in new year rockets. The rod at the tail of the rocket is important for stability and removing it can cause the rocket to be completely out of control. The early rocket pioneers and the Chinese played a key role in making rockets work without modern control systems. The inverted pendulum and normal pendulum
CyberneticsInside
Hi, I can´t understand how a rocket is not flipped over by the thrusters (especially without finns). I know this is a general misconception of how a rocket works, but it seams intuitive that it would behave like a inverted pendulum, since the force works below the center of mass, of the rocket.

Does someone have a dumbed down explanation?

Physics news on Phys.org
The rocket motors can be turned some degrees. Hence the rocket can be balanced, giving the lower end of the rocket some horizontal force.

Have a look at this video:

After about 1:42 min., you can see the motors turn slightly.

Ok, thanks for the response.
So the stability is caused på some kind regulator, f. instance a PID? Meaning a fixed motor will be un-stable?

CyberneticsInside said:
So the stability is caused på some kind regulator, f. instance a PID? Meaning a fixed motor will be un-stable?
I don't think the term "PID" ( first order filter ) can be used. I think that a system of higher order filters are used for the purpose.

Yes, with a fixed motor, the rocket will be unstable.

Hesch said:
I don't think the term "PID" ( first order filter ) can be used. I think that a system of higher order filters are used for the purpose.

Yes, with a fixed motor, the rocket will be unstable.
oh i see, thank you.

But at sea level, a rocket may be stabilized with finns on the body? (Fixed motor)

CyberneticsInside said:
But at sea level, a rocket may be stabilized with finns on the body? (Fixed motor)

Several types of aircraft have been built with rocket engines - mostly for research purposes . These had control surfaces .

One of the most successful was the X15 .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_X-15

CyberneticsInside said:
A rocket, that is launched at sea level, has no speed. Thus wings/finns will not work. But a missile flying horizontally at sea level at high speed may be stabilized by means of wings/finns.

New year rockets are stable with a "fixed motor", because the motor is placed at the top og the rocket. ( Front wheel drive ).

Hesch said:
A rocket, that is launched at sea level, has no speed. Thus wings/finns will not work. But a missile flying horizontally at sea level at high speed may be stabilized by means of wings/finns.

New year rockets are stable with a "fixed motor", because the motor is placed at the top og the rocket. ( Front wheel drive ).

I don´t follow when you say rockets at sea level has no speed. What do you mean ?
And I believed that the center of pressure is further to the ground than the center of mass, in new years rocket.

I saw an old picture of a ¨Front wheel´´ driven rocket, but it was highly unstable, and crashed shortly after launch. Should think a rocket like that, would be stable.

http://history.info/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Modern-rocket.jpg

CyberneticsInside said:
I don´t follow when you say rockets at sea level has no speed. What do you mean ?
Well, I assume that the rocket is not launched submerged, and if the astronauts are to be accelerated by say 5g, it will take some time before the rocket has achieved a speed whereby it can be controlled by wings/finns.

I believed that the center of pressure is further to the ground than the center of mass, in new years rocket.

Well, it has this rod at its tail. Try to remove/shorten the rod next new year, and test the result.
( Keep distance )

Last edited:
Oh yeah. I did not think of the rod. Sounds interesting to try tough (remive the rod)

CyberneticsInside said:
Sounds interesting to try tough (remive the rod)
It is not interesting, it is dangerous.

The rocket will be completely out of control.

Hesch said:

Yeah, obviously :p

Hesch said:

All the more reason to applaud the early rocket pioneers who made rockets work without the benefit of today's control systems. And don't forget the Chineese who were the first (I think) to make practical skyrocket fireworks. It makes on think again about the role of the stick in a bottle rocket.

Although it is attractive to view a rocket standing on fixed rear-mounted engines as an inverted pendulum and a rocket hanging from fixed front-mounted engines as a normal pendulum, both views are incorrect. Let us neglect the influence of air resistance for the moment...

In an inverted pendulum, the unbalancing torque increases as the tilt angle increases. In a rocket with rear-mounted motors, the unbalancing torque does not increase. As the rocket tilts, the motors tilt along with it. Their relative angle remains fixed and the unbalanced torque remains unchanged. The result is a fixed angular acceleration for the rocket.

In a normal pendulum, the restoring torque increases as the tilt angle increases. In a rocket with front-mounted motors, the restoring torque does not increase. As the rocket tilts, the motors tilt along with it. Their relative angle remains fixed and the unbalanced torque remains unchanged. The result is a fixed angular acceleration for the rocket.

Likes CWatters

1. What is a rocket and how does it work?

A rocket is a type of spacecraft that uses stored propellant to generate thrust, which propels it upwards. This thrust is created by the controlled combustion of fuel and oxidizer in the rocket's engine, which produces hot gases that are expelled out of the back of the rocket, pushing it in the opposite direction.

2. How are rockets able to travel through the vacuum of space?

Rockets are able to travel through the vacuum of space because they carry their own supply of oxygen and fuel. Unlike airplanes, which rely on oxygen from the atmosphere, rockets can operate in the vacuum of space because they have everything they need on board.

3. What is an inverted pendulum and how does it work?

An inverted pendulum is a type of pendulum that has its center of mass above its pivot point, rather than below it. This makes it unstable, and it requires an external force, such as a motor or control system, to keep it balanced. The inverted pendulum works by constantly adjusting the position of its base to keep the center of mass directly above the pivot point.

4. How are rockets and inverted pendulums related?

Rockets and inverted pendulums both use principles of physics, such as thrust and balance, to achieve their desired movements. Inverted pendulums are often used in rocket control systems to help stabilize the rocket during flight, making it easier to control and guide.

5. What are some real-world applications of rockets and inverted pendulums?

Rockets have many important real-world applications, such as launching satellites into orbit, delivering supplies and equipment to the International Space Station, and exploring other planets and celestial bodies. Inverted pendulums are used in a variety of industries, including robotics, transportation, and aerospace, for tasks such as stabilizing vehicles and controlling movements in machinery.