Model Quadruple Pendulum in Mathematica: Interesting Questions & Patterns

• Thread starter stripes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, the simulations show how changing the initial conditions of a quadruple pendulum can have a dramatic effect on its eventual path.
stripes
I've successfully modeled a quadruple linked pendulum in Mathematica. I've done a few interesting things with the simulation. I've shown angles vs. time, and how a tiny change in initial conditions result in a completely different, unpredictable path for the masses of the pendulum. I've shown how the time for the farthest mass to "completely change path" itself changes with initial condition. I've shown how the "time for the farthest mass to flip" changes with initial condition. Now I'm plotting something like this:

Double_pendulum_flips_graph.png

Wikipedia explains this as follows: "Graph of the time for the [double] pendulum to flip over as a function of initial conditions" (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_pendulum#Chaotic_motion for more details). Now I've replicated this quite well (this is for the double pendulum):
?temp_hash=a7bf77182fbaaf68b933aee4269d32e9.png

although it looks upside down in mine...not sure if I've reversed something...hmm.

Anyways, I'm looking for similar patterns in the quadruple pendulum. The biggest caveat is that there are now four initial angles to change, and plots above only have 2 dimensions. So I've been playing around with which of the two to vary, and which two to leave constant. I've also tried setting all four initial angles to vary with only two angles (like theta1 = theta3 and theta2=theta4). I haven't been able to get anything interesting to show up, except in the case where theta1=theta2 and theta3=theta4...which is basically like a double pendulum:
?temp_hash=a7bf77182fbaaf68b933aee4269d32e9.png

and it's not a whole heckuva lot different. (It also took about 30 minutes to draw that.) It's less symmetrical, which is expected.

So my question is: if I can only plot two angles (as above), but I have four initial angles to play with, is there any combination I should adjust that might lead to an interesting pattern? More generally, are there any other "Interesting" questions that I can talk about now that I have the simulated model (I have things like the momentum, angles all as a function of time). Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• cool.png
    cool.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 700
  • cool2.png
    cool2.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 718
Physics news on Phys.org
Cool stuff. Have you considered writing the simulation in a fast compiled language like Fortran or c? Or is that too much trouble?

Sorry about my late reply. The only other language I've done is Java and that was years ago. I've forgotten a lot. I let it run on Mathematica for a couple hours and it was less pixelated, but nothing close to the original image I posted (the one from Wikipedia). I managed to find some interesting ones, and wrote it up in an article.

1. What is a quadruple pendulum?

A quadruple pendulum is a system of four pendulums connected to each other, with each pendulum suspended from the one above it. The motion of each pendulum affects the motion of the others, creating complex and interesting patterns.

2. How is the model quadruple pendulum created in Mathematica?

The model quadruple pendulum is created using a combination of differential equations and numerical integration in Mathematica. This allows for the accurate representation of the pendulum's motion and the visualization of its patterns.

3. What are some interesting patterns that can be observed in the model quadruple pendulum?

Some interesting patterns that can be observed in the model quadruple pendulum include chaotic motion, periodic motion, and the formation of fractal patterns. These patterns are a result of the complex interactions between the four pendulums.

4. Can the model quadruple pendulum be used to study real-life pendulum systems?

Yes, the model quadruple pendulum in Mathematica can be used to study real-life pendulum systems such as clock pendulums or structural pendulums. The model can be adjusted to match the parameters of the real system and provide insights into its behavior.

5. How can the model quadruple pendulum be used for educational purposes?

The model quadruple pendulum in Mathematica can be a valuable educational tool for teaching concepts such as chaos theory, nonlinear dynamics, and differential equations. It allows students to visually see the effects of changing parameters and gain a deeper understanding of complex systems.