Roller coaster cart gaining weight into a loop

In summary, a roller-coaster car starts from rest at a high point 2 times as high as the top of the loop-the-loop. When a 100 lb bag of bricks falls on the car before it enters the loop, causing it to lose 25% of its speed. Neglecting friction, the question is whether the car will make it over the top of the loop without falling off. By comparing the potential energy at the start and the kinetic energy at the bottom, it is possible to determine the effective starting height of the loaded car. The question remains whether this height is high enough for the car to make it through the loop.
almightyfoon

Homework Statement

A roller-coaster car starts from rest at a high point 2 times as high as the top of the loop-the-loop. When it is just about to enter the loop from the bottom, a 100 lb bag of bricks fall on the car, causing it to lose 25% of its speed. Neglecting friction, do you think the car will make it over the top of the loop wihtout falling off?
H=4R

Homework Equations

PE=mgh
KE=(1/2)mv^2
v=rω
a=rα

The Attempt at a Solution

m= mass of the cart
R= radius of the loop

I figured out the potential energy = 39.24Rm (9.81*4R*m)

Which means the KE at the bottom of the loop is the same thing. However the mass of the cart goes up by 100 lb (45.6 kg roughly) once the cart hits the loop. SO the KE=(1/2)(m+100)v^2.

I can solve for either of the variables, but that's a lot of algebra to do, and I don't really think its necessary. So... people of physics forum's, I have come from my lurking to beg for your help. This is the last problem of my homework set that's due at 9 AM.

Physics news on Phys.org
almightyfoon said:

Homework Statement

A roller-coaster car starts from rest at a high point 2 times as high as the top of the loop-the-loop. When it is just about to enter the loop from the bottom, a 100 lb bag of bricks fall on the car, causing it to lose 25% of its speed. Neglecting friction, do you think the car will make it over the top of the loop wihtout falling off?
H=4R

Homework Equations

PE=mgh
KE=(1/2)mv^2
v=rω
a=rα

The Attempt at a Solution

m= mass of the cart
R= radius of the loop

I figured out the potential energy = 39.24Rm (9.81*4R*m)

Which means the KE at the bottom of the loop is the same thing. However the mass of the cart goes up by 100 lb (45.6 kg roughly) once the cart hits the loop. SO the KE=(1/2)(m+100)v^2.

I can solve for either of the variables, but that's a lot of algebra to do, and I don't really think its necessary. So... people of physics forum's, I have come from my lurking to beg for your help. This is the last problem of my homework set that's due at 9 AM.

We are now asking the cart plus sack to go through the loop.

The velocity has reduced to 3/4 of what it would have been had the sack been added before coming from the start.
if v is only 3/4, then the KE is only 9/16 - slightly more than half.
Relating KE at the bottom to PE at the start, as you did, you can find the height the loaded car has effectively started at.

Is that high enough for the car to make it through?

1. How does the weight of the roller coaster cart affect its ability to go through a loop?

The weight of the roller coaster cart plays a crucial role in its ability to go through a loop. The heavier the cart, the more force it will have, making it easier to go through the loop. However, if the cart is too heavy, it may not have enough speed to make it through the loop.

2. Can a roller coaster cart go through a loop with no weight at all?

No, a roller coaster cart cannot go through a loop with no weight at all. The cart needs a certain amount of force and momentum to make it through the loop. Without any weight, the cart would not have enough force to make it through the loop and would likely roll back or get stuck.

3. How do engineers determine the appropriate weight for a roller coaster cart to go through a loop?

Engineers use various calculations and simulations to determine the appropriate weight for a roller coaster cart to successfully go through a loop. They take into account factors such as the height and shape of the loop, the speed of the cart, and the gravitational force acting on the cart.

4. Can adding weight to a roller coaster cart make it go faster through a loop?

Yes, adding weight to a roller coaster cart can make it go faster through a loop. This is because the added weight increases the force and momentum of the cart, allowing it to go through the loop at a higher speed. However, there is a limit to how much weight can be added before it becomes too heavy and slows down the cart.

5. Does the weight distribution on a roller coaster cart affect its ability to go through a loop?

Yes, the weight distribution on a roller coaster cart can greatly affect its ability to go through a loop. If the weight is evenly distributed, the cart will have a better chance of making it through the loop smoothly. However, if the weight is unevenly distributed, it can cause the cart to lose balance and potentially derail during the loop.