Rolling hemispheres and moments of inertia

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with mechanics revision and being stuck on a question about hemispheres. They first ask for help with using the parallel axis theorem to calculate the moment of inertia of a uniform hemisphere. After receiving some help, they move on to another question about a hemisphere rolling on a rough horizontal plane without slipping. They mention not being familiar with Lagrangian Mechanics and ask for further guidance. The conversation ends with a link to a website confirming their answer to the first question.
Mathmos6

Homework Statement

Hi there - I'm working through a bit of mechanics revision and have been looking at some of my uni past exam papers from a good few years back when the syllabus was different, so I'm not familiar with a lot of the material covered - it's not strictly relevant to my current course but I've found myself stuck on this question about hemispheres and it's bugging me, relevant or not. Could someone please give me a little help with how to progress? Thanks a lot.

i) Use the parallel axis theorem to calculate the moment of inertia of a uniform hemisphere of mass 'M' and radius 'a' about an axis through its centre of mass and parallel to the base (the centre of mass is located at a distance of 3a/8 from the flat face of the hemisphere).

Well the moment of inertia of the hemisphere about the axis which would be through the centre of mass of a full sphere is [itex]\frac{2ma^2}{5}[/itex], as it is for a sphere, so by the parallel axes theorem, [itex]I_{c.o.m}+M(\frac{3a}{8})^2=\frac{2Ma^2}{5}[/itex] so [itex]I_{c.o.m}=Ma^2(\frac{2}{5}-\frac{9}{64})=\frac{83}{320}Ma^2[/itex]. Now for a start, 83/320 seems like about the ugliest moment of inertia coefficient I've ever seen, so I'm pretty sure I've gone wrong somewhere here - but where?

ii) The hemisphere initially rests on a rough horizontal plane with its base vertical. It is then released from rest and rolls on the plane without slipping. Let [itex]\theta[/itex] be the angle that the base makes with the horizontal at time t - express the instantaneous speed of the centre of mass in terms of b and the rate of change of [itex]\theta[/itex], where b is the instantaneous distance from the centre of mass to the point of contact with the plane. Hence write down expressions for the potential and kinetic energy of the hemisphere and deduce that [itex](\frac{d \theta}{dt})^2=\frac{15gcos\theta}{(28-15cos\theta)a}[/itex].

Now I really have no idea what on Earth to do on this one, and I can see that part (i) is probably relevant but it's not rotating around the centre of mass ('C') so I can only assume they want us to calculate another moment of inertia which is just plain annoying. The picture I have has that the midpoint of the 'base edge' (where the centre of mass of a full sphere would be - call this point 'P', say) is always directly above the point of contact of the sphere and the surface - call this 'B' say - I'm pretty sure this is correct because at the very least it's true at the start and the end of the motion. In that case, by the cosine rule for the triangle CPB, the length of side CB squared is [itex]b^2=a^2 + \frac{9a^2}{64}-2(a)(\frac{3a}{8})cos(\theta)=a^2(\frac{73-48cos\theta}{64})[/itex] which again seems wrong. Even if that is the correct expression for [itex]b^2[/itex], I'm not sure how to express the speed of the centre of mass in terms of [itex]b[/itex] and [itex]\dot \theta[/itex], and will the kinetic energy expression include an [itex]\frac{I{\dot \theta}^2}{2}[/itex] or an [itex]\frac{mv^2}{2}[/itex] or both? Apologies for my cluelessness, as I said this is a fair bit off the syllabus I'm meant to know! Thanks a lot,

Mathmos6

Physics news on Phys.org
For Part i you appoached the problem correctly. I'll look at ii. Are you familiar with Lagangian Mechanics?

I don't believe so but if you point me in the right direction I'll be happy to read up! So the moment of inertia -is- that ugly thing?

1. What are rolling hemispheres?

Rolling hemispheres refer to objects that are shaped like half of a sphere and are able to roll on a flat surface.

2. How do you calculate the moment of inertia for a rolling hemisphere?

The moment of inertia for a rolling hemisphere can be calculated by using the formula: I = (2/5)mr^2, where m is the mass of the object and r is the radius of the sphere.

3. Why is the moment of inertia different for a rolling hemisphere compared to a solid sphere?

The moment of inertia is different because a rolling hemisphere has a hollow interior, while a solid sphere has a solid interior. This difference in distribution of mass affects the moment of inertia calculation.

4. How does the moment of inertia affect the rolling motion of a hemisphere?

The moment of inertia affects the rolling motion of a hemisphere by determining how easily it can rotate and change direction. A higher moment of inertia means the object will be more resistant to changes in its rotation.

5. Can the moment of inertia for a rolling hemisphere change?

Yes, the moment of inertia can change if the mass or the radius of the sphere changes. It can also be affected by the shape and distribution of mass within the object.