Ron Popeil: Celebrating the Life of an Iconic TV Inventor & Salesman

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
In summary: Ron Popeil, well-known seller of TV gadgets, died Wednesday at the age of 84. His company, Ronco, became well-known for its TV commercials, which were often lengthy and featured the well-known "I'm going to show you the greatest kitchen appliance ever made" line. He is credited with developing the infomercial format, in which an invention is presented as "revolutionary" technology and is accompanied by bonus products.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ron Popeil, well know seller of TV gadgets, died Wednesday at the age of 84.
Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 12.09.46 AM.png

In 1959 he appeared in his first TV commercial, hawking the Ronco Chop-o-Matic food dicer. Debuting the earnestly dramatic style that became his trademark, Popeil said, "I'm going to show you the greatest kitchen appliance ever made."

Popeil followed with a flurry of other made-for-TV inventions, dizzying in both their number and variety. They included the Pocket Fisherman, Mr. Microphone and the Electric Food Dehydrator. Popeil said he was not just a salesman, but also an inventor who designed many of the products himself.Although his company Ronco was already a household name in the 1970s, Popeil's fame exploded in the 80s when looser federal regulations on TV ads allowed him to go from brief commercials to 30-minute self-contained "infomercials," which soon dominated late night and weekend schedules.
Popeil developed a formula that became dominant in infomercials: Present an invention that addressed a minor problem as "revolutionary" technology, throw in "free" bonus products to the delight of an in-studio audience and warn viewers that supplies are low, so they have to "call now!"

He was quite the TV character and was imitated (and spoofed) by many:

Likes DaveE
Physics news on Phys.org
If you understand the words in this song, then you must be old, like me.

Likes BillTre
I remember all of those products. As a kid in the 1970s I was really captivated by those RonCo TV ads... some of them were as long as 60 seconds occasionally a bit more... Ron Popiel really pioneered the long-form (60-120 second) TV spot, which was largely believed to be too long to hold the audience attention.

I actually loved the ads more than the products, although I always did want a Pocket Fisherman.

--diogenesNY

Likes BillTre
I was just talking about this guy with a friend the other day. When I was kid my dad bought me and brothers each a Pocket Fisherman. A pretty neat gift to get as a little kid, and it's kind of a cool idea. It was a complete piece of junk though, didn't really work that well. Still, I have fond memories of it. Kind of wish I'd kept it.

I searched online and the original versions (they re-released it later) are going for like $100.

Likes BillTre
I had no idea he was still alive.

And "Wow, that's terrific bass!"

Likes BillTre
I watched the original TV commercials as a child. Laughed at Dan Aykroyd's hilarious spoofs on 1970's SNL.

Likes BillTre
I read somewhere that the pocket-fisherman was a product best purchased as a gift, not for use.

Likes Klystron
It slices, it dices, it cuts three different ways...and boy, does it catch fish!

1. Who is Ron Popeil?

Ron Popeil was an American inventor, entrepreneur, and television personality. He is best known for his innovative kitchen gadgets and for his memorable infomercials selling his products.

2. What were some of Ron Popeil's most famous inventions?

Some of Ron Popeil's most famous inventions include the Veg-O-Matic, Pocket Fisherman, and Showtime Rotisserie. He also created the Spray-On Hair product and the Smokeless Ashtray, among many others.

3. How did Ron Popeil become successful?

Ron Popeil's success can be attributed to his relentless work ethic, his innovative products, and his charismatic salesmanship. He spent countless hours perfecting his inventions and creating compelling infomercials to market them to the masses.

4. What made Ron Popeil's infomercials so successful?

Ron Popeil's infomercials were successful because they were entertaining, informative, and persuasive. He used catchy phrases, demonstrations, and testimonials to showcase the usefulness and effectiveness of his products.

5. What is Ron Popeil's legacy?

Ron Popeil's legacy is that of a pioneer in the world of direct-response television marketing. He revolutionized the industry with his innovative products and memorable infomercials, paving the way for future entrepreneurs and inventors to follow in his footsteps.

Back