Ronja - D.I.Y. wireless communications

In summary, Ronja is a free technology project that offers reliable optical data links with a range of 1.4km and a communication speed of 10Mbps. They provide plans for different models of a wireless network device on their website, which are licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. However, the device has limitations such as requiring a direct line-of-sight and being affected by dense fog. Despite this, the project has a strong philosophy and potential solutions for its flaws, such as using multiple optical links and backup networks.
SamLuc
Ronja

Ronja is a free technology project for reliable optical data links with a current range of 1.4km and a communication speed of 10Mbps full duplex.

On their website, they provide plans for a few different models of a wireless network device. The plans include parts list, instructions, pictures/diagrams etc., and are licensed under the GNU Free Documentaton License.

Limitations of the device are that it requires a direct line-of-sight to operate, and it's functionality will be severely impaired in dense fog.

Nonetheless, I think the project is excellent, and I really agree with a lot of their philosophy (but maybe we shouldn't go into that).

What do you think?

Computer science news on Phys.org
It's pretty interesting. It has some obvious flaws but these can be compensated. For example there could be multiple optical links, for redundancy. There could also be some available WiFi and wired networks to serve as backups.

Last edited:
What flaws are you referring to?

Line-of-sight, obstruction, interference...

1. How does "Ronja - D.I.Y. wireless communications" work?

"Ronja - D.I.Y. wireless communications" is a wireless communication system that uses infrared light to transmit data between two devices. It consists of a transmitter and a receiver, which are placed facing each other. The transmitter converts data into pulses of infrared light, which are then received and decoded by the receiver.

2. What are the advantages of using "Ronja - D.I.Y. wireless communications"?

"Ronja - D.I.Y. wireless communications" has several advantages over traditional wireless communication methods, such as Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. It is more secure as the infrared light cannot pass through walls, making it difficult for hackers to intercept data. It also has a longer range than most wireless technologies, making it ideal for outdoor use.

3. Can "Ronja - D.I.Y. wireless communications" be used for internet access?

Yes, "Ronja - D.I.Y. wireless communications" can be used for internet access. However, it has a limited bandwidth and is not suitable for high-speed internet connections. It is better suited for small-scale, local networks.

4. Is "Ronja - D.I.Y. wireless communications" easy to set up?

The set-up process for "Ronja - D.I.Y. wireless communications" can be a bit complex and requires some technical knowledge. However, there are detailed instructions and resources available online to help with the installation process. It may also require some trial and error to achieve optimal performance.

5. What are the potential applications of "Ronja - D.I.Y. wireless communications"?

"Ronja - D.I.Y. wireless communications" has a wide range of potential applications, including internet access, local area networks, and even in disaster situations where traditional communication methods may be unavailable. It can also be used for remote monitoring and surveillance, as well as in rural areas with limited access to traditional internet connections.