1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rope, tension and newtons third law

1. Oct 9, 2008 #1
    This is more of a conceptual question, meant to help us understand how tension forces work.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assume that segment R exerts a force of magnitude T on segment L. What is the magnitude FRL of the force exerted on segment R by segment L?
    Give your answer in terms of T and other constants such as g.

2. Relevant equations

Fnet = ma

3. The attempt at a solution

Fnet = FR on L + FL on R = 0 (I assume it's 0)

I also know that Fnet = ma, but I dont know if I should use any mass, since it's a rope, and in first year undergraduate class, I understood that ropes are massless.

The question says in terms of g and I know that FG=m*g (g = -9.81)

I dont know how to indroduce the g in the equations.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Consider Newton's 3rd law. (It's way easier than you think.)
  4. Oct 9, 2008 #3
    Ok, Newtons third law states that "every force occurs as one member of an action/reaction pair of forces". So the two objects have forces acting on them of the same magnitude but opposite directions.

I think I understand how the tension forces work horizontally, but I have no idea how to add the g in there. Is there also a normal force that is equal and opposite to g? If so, how? It's in the air so I don't understand where that would come from :(
  5. Oct 9, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi DakE_FeatH! Welcome to PF! :smile:

What makes you think g is involved? :wink:
  6. Oct 9, 2008 #5
    Re: Welcome to PF!

They say in the problem to give my answer in terms of T and "constants such as g"

So I cant just use Fnet = FR on L + FL on R = 0
  7. Oct 9, 2008 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Re: Welcome to PF!

I think you are overly constraining yourself. I'm sure they meant: "... in terms of T and constants such as g if you need them".

If A exerts a force on B, then B exerts an equal and opposite force on A. That's Newton's 3rd law. Case closed. :wink:
  8. Oct 9, 2008 #7
    Ok I got it, it was |-T|, they just put in the g to mess me up. Thank you guys!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?