Rotating and tilting charged disk induces a voltage inside a ring

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving calculating the magnetic dipole moment of a rotating charged disk and then using this to calculate the voltage inside a conductive ring as the disk is slowly tilted by an angle theta(t). The conversation includes discussions about using zylinder coordinates, the law of Biot and Savart, and the quasistatic approximation. The final summary provides a solution for calculating the voltage using the law of Biot and Savart and the flux through the loop.
Knut
Homework Statement
Approximately calculate the voltage U(t) inside a conductive ring.
Relevant Equations
none were given
Screenshot from 2019-10-09 15-16-02.png

As I`` m learning for an upcoming exam I found an electrodynamics problem I struggle with.
In the first task I need to calculate the magnetic dipole moment of a uniformly charged,thin disk with the Radius R and a total charge Q which rotates with a angular speed omega round its symmetry axis. Which i did in zylinder coordinates:
$$\vec m = \frac{1}{2} \int \vec r \times \vec j(\vec r) d^3 r= \frac{Q}{2 \pi} \int \vec r \times (\vec \omega \times \vec r) d^3 r = \frac{Q \omega R^2}{4} \vec e_z$$
so far so good.
The next task is to take this exact disk and rotate it slowly by the angle theta(t) around the x-axis. There is a conducting ring with the radius r (r<<L) in the xy-plane on the y-axis. It's distance to the disk is L and L>>R. The second task is to approximately calculate the voltage U(t) in the ring.
I thought of calculating the B-field in the z-direction first without an angle. $$\vec B (\vec r) = \frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \frac{3 \vec r (\vec m \cdot \vec r ) - \vec m |r|^2}{|r|^5}=\frac{-\mu_0 Q \omega R^2}{16 \pi L^3} \vec e_z$$
The problem begins here as I don't know if I can just add a cos(theta(t)) to the equation to get the right magnetic field that acts on the conductive ring. And then go on with calculating the magnetic flux with $$\Phi = \int_A \vec B \cdot d\vec A$$ and the voltage afterwards with $$U=\frac{d\Phi}{dt}$$ or if I got something wrong by thinking it's that easy. I would be very pleased if someone could help me in that regard.

Likes dRic2, lena_2509 and Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi. Say
[tex]\mathbf{m}=m\mathbf{e_z}[/tex]
[tex]3\mathbf{r}(\mathbf{m}\cdot\mathbf{r})-\mathbf{m}|r|^2=3mz\mathbf{r}-m\mathbf{e_z}|r|^2[/tex]
[tex]=3mzx\mathbf{e_x}+3mzy\mathbf{e_y}-m(x^2+y^2+2z^2)\mathbf{e_z}[/tex]
where position vector r is originated from the disk center.
At the posion of the ring
[tex]x=0,y=L\ cos(-\theta), z=L \ sin(-\theta)[/tex]
and area vector is
[tex] S(0,cos(\pi/2-\theta),sin(\pi/2-\theta))[/tex]
Here I take the disk is at still but the ring rotates for easiness for me.
Do such expressions may help you ?

Hm, at the first glance this looks like a tough time-dependent problem. For not too large ##L## you can use the quasistatic approximation though.

Thanks for your answers. I will think of your tips and try to work on with the problem.

mitochan said:
[tex]=3mzx\mathbf{e_x}+3mzy\mathbf{e_y}-m(x^2+y^2+2z^2)\mathbf{e_z}[/tex]
Correction of a sign
[tex]=3mzx\mathbf{e_x}+3mzy\mathbf{e_y}-m(x^2+y^2-2z^2)\mathbf{e_z}[/tex]

vanhees71 said:
Hm, at the first glance this looks like a tough time-dependent problem. For not too large ##L## you can use the quasistatic approximation though.
I believe in order for the quasistatic approximation to be valid we also need that the tilting is done with small angular velocity/acceleration, otherwise the radiation term will not be neglicible.

Argh! I didn't get that the tilting is also time dependent. Then it's of course even more complicated. Of course where the quasistatic approximation is valid depends on the largest "frequency" in the problem, i.e., the corresponding wavelength must be larger than the distance from the system considered.

vanhees71 said:
Argh! I didn't get that the tilting is also time dependent. Then it's of course even more complicated. Of course where the quasistatic approximation is valid depends on the largest "frequency" in the problem, i.e., the corresponding wavelength must be larger than the distance from the system considered.
Well now that I reread the statement, it says that
Knut said:
Homework Statement: Approximately calculate the voltage U(t) inside a conductive ring.
Homework Equations: none were given

The next task is to take this exact disk and rotate it slowly by the angle theta(t) around the x-axis.
so the tilting is done slowly, I guess it means slowly enough so that the quasistatic approximation is valid.

Likes Knut and vanhees71
Assuming the disk and the pick up loop lie on the same plane with parallel axis of symmetry when ##\theta=0##, I suggest you use the law of Biot and Savart to compute the B field at the center of the pick up loop:$$dB(r)=\frac {\mu_0}{4 \pi}\frac {dI(r') \times {(\hat{r}-\hat{r'})}}{|r-r'|^2}$$ where r is the coordinate of the B field and r' is the coordinate of the current element. You can derive or it is shown here http://pleclair.ua.edu/ph126/Homework/HW5_SOLN.pdf that$$dI(r')=\sigma \omega r'dr'$$where ##\sigma## is the charge density. Therefor I get (omitting some algebra)$$B(L)=\frac {\mu_0 \sigma \omega}{4 \pi} \int_0^R \frac {r'dr'}{(L-2r')^2}=\frac {\mu_0 \sigma \omega}{16 \pi}(\frac{2R}{L-2R}+log(\frac{L}{L-2R}) \hat { z}$$
The disk and the loop are co_planar so the field lines threading the loop are perpendicular to the surface area of the loop and we assume that there is an approximately uniform distribution across the area. If we advance theta by ##\frac {\pi}{2}##, the field lines are parallel to the surface area of the loop meaning that the flux through the loop is zero. We write the flux (with A being the surface area) $$ \Phi= A \frac {\mu_0 \sigma \omega}{16 \pi}(\frac{2R}{L-2R}+log(\frac{L}{L-2R})cos(\theta(t))$$and thus$$e(t)=\frac{d \Phi}{dt}=A \frac {\mu_0 \sigma \omega}{16 \pi}(\frac{2R}{L-2R}+log(\frac{L}{L-2R})sin(\dot{\theta})$$

Likes Knut and Delta2
Knut said:
I thought of calculating the B-field in the z-direction first without an angle. $$\vec B (\vec r) = \frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \frac{3 \vec r (\vec m \cdot \vec r ) - \vec m |r|^2}{|r|^5}=\frac{-\mu_0 Q \omega R^2}{16 \pi L^3} \vec e_z$$
The problem begins here as I don't know if I can just add a cos(theta(t)) to the equation to get the right magnetic field that acts on the conductive ring.
One way to justify that you can "just add a ##\cos \vartheta##" to take into account the tilt of ##\vec m## is to work in a spherical coordinate system.

Wikipedia gives the field of the dipole in spherical coordinates as
1570928809131.png

Here ##\theta = 0## corresponds to being on the axis of the dipole. So, the coordinate system is oriented as shown below when ##\vec m## is oriented as shown. O is the origin of the coordinate system. The azimuthal angle ##\phi## of the coordinate system is not relevant to this problem and is not shown.

1570929394704.png

Note that ##\theta## here is not the angle ##\vartheta## given in the figure of the problem statement. But there is a simple relation between the two angles. From this, it is easy to get an expression for the component of ##\vec B## that is perpendicular to the ring as a function of the tilt angle ##\vartheta## of ##\vec m##. This will justify your "just add a ##\cos \vartheta##".

It should then be easy to get an expression for the magnetic flux ##\Phi## through the ring as a function of ##\vartheta## under the assumption that the ring is small enough that the B field can be taken to be uniform over the area of the ring.

Last edited:
Likes Knut and Delta2
I feel compelled to correct an error in my previous post. The answer should actually read$$e(t)=\frac{A \dot {\theta} \omega \rho \mu_0 }{16 \pi}(\frac {2R}{L-2R}+ log(\frac {L}{L-2R}))sin(\dot {\theta}t)$$

Likes Knut

1. How does a rotating and tilting charged disk induce a voltage inside a ring?

When a charged disk rotates and tilts, it creates a changing magnetic field. This changing magnetic field then induces an electric field inside the nearby ring, resulting in a voltage being produced.

2. What factors affect the voltage induced by a rotating and tilting charged disk?

The voltage induced by a rotating and tilting charged disk is affected by the strength of the charge on the disk, the speed of rotation, the angle of tilt, and the distance between the disk and the ring.

3. How is the voltage induced inside the ring measured?

The voltage induced inside the ring can be measured using a voltmeter placed across the ends of the ring. The voltmeter will display the voltage generated by the induced electric field.

4. What is the significance of the induced voltage in this experiment?

The induced voltage in this experiment demonstrates the principles of electromagnetic induction, which is the process of generating an electric current by varying a magnetic field. This concept has many practical applications in technology, such as in generators and transformers.

5. Can the direction of the induced voltage be changed?

Yes, the direction of the induced voltage can be changed by altering the direction of rotation or tilt of the charged disk. This will result in a change in the direction of the changing magnetic field, and thus a change in the direction of the induced electric field and voltage.