1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotating object: Finding Tension and Vtheta

1. Apr 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A string with 2kg mass m on the end is connected to a bar that rotates at a constant rate (theta dot). The string makes a constant angle beta, = 60 degrees relative to the horizontal plane. Find theta dot and the tension force in the string.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I realize this may be very difficult to understand without a picture, but the rotation is in the x y direction I suppose and gravity is acting downward in the Z direction. I'm not really sure how to go about this problem. There's a specific velocity that will give the angle relative to the x axis the 60 degrees but I'm quite stuck, any help would be great.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2008 #2
    Maybe this is right?

Ok so after fighting through it again, I realized what might work...

F(z) = 0; Tcos(30) - 2kg*9.81 = 0: T = 22 N

F(n) = ma(n); 22sin(30) = 2(v^2/1.57)

I realized I also forgot to mention the p value: 1.57
  4. Apr 21, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks good so far. The solution of the 2nd equation will give you 'v'. After determining what 'v' represents, you must now determine theta dot.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?