Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotating rigid sphere stress-energy tensor

1. Mar 21, 2009 #1
    Hy.

Can somebody please show me the way, how to transform stress-energy tensor for sphere in rest frame to stress-energy tensor in rotating frame using Lorentz transformations?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hy aatw! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Whyever would you want to use a rotating frame? :confused:

Anyway, the rotations in the group of Lorentz transformations are exactly the same as in ordinary Euclidean space. :wink:

4. Mar 21, 2009 #3
    Thanks for your quick reply.
    Maybe I didn't express myself so well.
    Let's start from stress-energy tensor for sphere, which can be written as [tex]T^{ab} = (\rho + p) u^a u^b + p g^{ab}[/tex], but in rest frame where sphere doesn't rotate, it's only [tex]T^{00}[/tex] element that's nonzero (I think so!).
    But now sphere starts to rotate with angular speed [tex]\omega[/tex] around z axis and I want to use Lorentz transformation to determine [tex]T^{ab}[/tex] for rotating sphere.

5. Mar 21, 2009 #4

Mentz114

Gold Member

Have you tried plugging in this velocity 4-vector ?
    [tex]

\left[ \begin{array}{c}
    -\sqrt{\omega^2r^2-c^2}\\\
    -\omega r\sin(\omega t) \\\
    \omega r\cos(\omega t) \\\
    0 \end{array} \right]
    [/tex]
    where [itex]r^2=x^2+y^2[/itex] into the EMT ? This seems to be in cartesian coords but easy enough to transform to polar.

I suppose another approach would be to boost in the x and y directions with velocities as given above. I'll try that later if I have time.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  6. Apr 2, 2009 #5
    No, if [itex]g = \eta[/itex] then [itex]T^{ij} = P \delta^i_j[/itex] where P is the pressure between the elements (just use the formula you quoted with [itex]u^a = (1,0,0,0)[/itex] -which is the 4-velocity in the rest frame).

ok, so just use an ordinary boost in all 3 spacial directions with [itex]v=\omega r[/itex]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook