1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation and Translation Combined. Hockey Stick.

1. Oct 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A hockey stick is projected along ice floor such that it possess rotation about its center of mass as well as translation of it center of mass. Due to friction present, its translation comes to a stop after some time. Why is it that both translational and rotational motion stop together, not before or after each other?

2. The attempt at a solution
    One thing i cud come up with that it does not probably hold for regular objects. So as the stick is not uniform, Center of mass, has unequal mass on both side, implying that friction on both sides is different, so as long as the the stick rotates, its center of mass must move as forces are not balanced. Am i Correct?

If not, plz suggest the correct solution.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2009 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are right. The friction force is not uniform along the length of the hockey stick. Since friction forces are not equal along the stick, there is a torque on the centre of mass of the stick so long as the stick is rotating. This means that the centre of mass will continue to move until it stops rotating.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook