Rotation between meter stick and a can

In summary, when a meterstick is pushed horizontally and a can rolls on a table with no slipping, the displacement of the meterstick is equal to the circumference of the can. However, the center of the can moves at a slower speed than the meterstick, and therefore the ruler will move twice as far as the can during one revolution. This can be observed by rolling a battery or other object with a small diameter and measuring the distance traveled by the end of a ruler that is dragged along the table.
Smartguy94

Homework Statement

The tip of a meterstick rests on the can. The stick is pushed horizontally so that the can rolls on the table, with no slipping between the can and the table or the can or the can and the meterstick. The push continues until the can makes one complete rotation. During the roll, the displacement of the meterstick is equal to

The Attempt at a Solution

since there is no slipping between the can and the table and the meter stick, wouldn't the answer just be the can's circumference? because one rotational of the can is equal to the circumference of the can? therefore the meterstick displacement is equal to the circumference of the can?

but I got it wrong. can anybody help and explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the can's center move as fast as the stick?

Do the experiment, get a beer bottle, rubber bands, and a ruler. Wrap the rubber bands around the bottle, the ruler does not slip on the rubber bands as it does on the glass, and move the bottle one revolution with the ruler.

Spinnor said:
Does the can's center move as fast as the stick?

Do the experiment, get a beer bottle, rubber bands, and a ruler. Wrap the rubber bands around the bottle, the ruler does not slip on the rubber bands as it does on the glass, and move the bottle one revolution with the ruler.

i did it with a battery and a ruler, the battery's diameter is 1.4cm and so the circumference is 1.4∏ = which is 4.39822cm

and then i roled the batery with my ruler and got 4.4cm for one revolution. so it is the circumference of the battery.. but apparently that's not the answer.

The ruler should move about twice as far as the can.

Spinnor said:
The ruler should move about twice as far as the can.

could you please explain why and how do you get this?

Smartguy94 said:
i did it with a battery and a ruler, the battery's diameter is 1.4cm and so the circumference is 1.4Pi = which is 4.39822cm

and then i roled the batery with my ruler and got 4.4cm for one revolution. so it is the circumference of the battery.. but apparently that's not the answer.
Try it again. Have one end of the ruler on the battery, but allow the other end of the ruler to drag along the table. It is this dragging end of the ruler that you focus on. Mark the start and finish points of that dragging end, then measure their distance apart.

1. How does rotation between a meter stick and a can work?

Rotation between a meter stick and a can occurs when the meter stick is balanced on the edge of the can and then spun around its axis. This creates a rotational motion between the two objects.

2. What is the purpose of rotating a meter stick and a can?

The purpose of rotating a meter stick and a can is to demonstrate the principles of rotational motion, such as angular velocity and centripetal force.

3. What factors affect the rotational motion between a meter stick and a can?

The rotational motion between a meter stick and a can can be affected by the weight and balance of the objects, as well as the force and direction of the spin.

4. Is there a specific technique for rotating a meter stick and a can?

Yes, there are various techniques for rotating a meter stick and a can, such as flicking the stick with your finger or using a pencil to spin the stick.

5. How can we use rotation between a meter stick and a can in real-life applications?

Rotation between a meter stick and a can can be applied in real-life scenarios, such as understanding the mechanics of a spinning top or the movement of a gyroscope. It can also be used in engineering and physics experiments to study rotational motion and its effects.