1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Acceleration Using Work and Energy Principals

1. May 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The chain of a workshop crane is 50 m long and has a mass of 3 kg/m. It is partially wound on a drum and the effective radius from the axis of the drum to the chain centre line is 0.2 m. The drum itself, including shaft and gear wheel has a mass of 100 kg and has a radius of gyration of 0.15 m. A steel block with a mass of 500 kg is to be lifted from a point 20 m below the level of the axis of the drum. If a torque of 1.3 kNm is applied to the drum, what will be the initial vertical acceleration of the steel block?

2. Relevant equations

P.E = mgh
    K.E = 1/2mv^2
    I = mK^2
    Torque = radius * Force
    Work Done = F*distance
    F=mass* acceleration

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2012 #2
    I have just found out it is meant to be using angular and linear momentum but I a m still stuck:

Sum of moments = angular momentum

Momentum = Inertia*angular velocity + mass*velocity*radius

4. May 25, 2012 #3
    Sum of moments is not angular momentum. Sum of moments is the moment of inertia multiplied by the angular acceleration.

5. May 25, 2012 #4
    I solved it many thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?