Rotation of double and triple bonds

In summary: Please see this paper for more information:In summary, my textbook says rotation around triple bonds is easy because of circular symmetry around the electron density map and that if rotation happens, no new compounds are formed. However, when adding energy to the system, we are able to break the pi bond temporarily, rotate into cis or trans configuration, and allow the electrons to fall back into its bonding pi MO. This is how we create a new molecule through the photochemical rotation of a pi bond.
alingy1
Hi,
My textbook does not really go into the details of rotation about a bond.

I know single bonds can rotate easily.
What about double bonds and triple bonds?
The pi bonds would be broken. Does that mean new compounds are formed?

My textbook says rotation around triple bonds is easy because of circular symmetry around the electron density map and that if rotation happens, no new compounds are formed. I still do not visualize how breaking two pi bonds cannot refrain rotation and how breaking two bonds would not cause a new compound...

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is the extract.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-31 at 10.06.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-31 at 10.06.53 PM.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,431
I think it is saying the group connected to the atom with the triple bond can rotate easily. The rotation of two atoms connected by a triple bond, a pi and sigma bond, is energetically unfavorable.

In a pi bond, if you were to reduce the pi bond to a sigma bond temporarily and rotate the atom, you may have to deal with cis and trans configurations based on what groups are attached when the pi bond is reformed. This could result in a different compound.

As far as I know, double and triple bonds do not rotate unless energy is added to the system.

In the triple bond, since you have two pi bonds, I think it would be impossible to have cis trans problems because the pi bonds overlap correspondingly to the phase sign.

Look here:
In (a), the red has to match with the blue.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-01 at 10.00.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-01 at 10.00.36 AM.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,493
The same thing goes for double bonds.
I do not understand how rotation would occur even if enough energy were added!

It is not that rotations around pi bond can't happen, it is just that there exists an energy barrier which is difficult to overcome under typical pressure/temperature conditions. You can take a look at the UC Davis ChemWiki for some discussion on the MO Theory take on this. My simplified explanation is that rotation around one or more pi bonds requires the pi electrons to be promoted into a higher MO orbital which requires energy, as ChiralWaltz stated above. For an example of this you can look for literature about NMR data collected on amide bonds as a function of temperature. I found this paper very quickly and quickly looked at the figures which should show the general idea.

As far as the excerpt you posted from the book, here is my take interpretation. Triple bonds should have a large barrier of rotation if we extrapolate our knowledge about double bonds however because of the symmetry surrounding the triple bond, we have no way of distinguishing one rotamer from the other. If you imagine two identical cylinders joined by some mechanism along their long axes allowing for rotation, you should be able to notice that I can steal it from you for a minute and rotate along the axis, then give it back, and you would have no way of knowing if or by how much I have rotated it. This is because of the symmetry in such a geometry. This is analogous to the triple bond case of ethyne, for example.

Sorry about the unclear post last night. I was going to bed because I couldn't even do basic algebra at that point.

Yes, triple bonds consist of TWO pi bonds and a sigma bond. Please excuse what I said previously about Triple bonds being ONE pi and a sigma.

Here is a simple three step mechanism to illustrate what I was talking about with energy levels.

dimethyl fumarate to dimethyl maleate:
http://fog.ccsf.edu/pherrman/documents/Investigation.pdf

This basic explanation is on page 2 at the top using the photochemical mechanism. Notice that by adding energy to the system, we are able to promote the pi bonded electrons into their anti-bonding molecular orbits (MO). This is allows us to break the pi bond temporarily, rotate into cis or trans configuration, and allow the electrons to fall back into its bonding pi MO. Thus we have created a new molecule through the photochemical rotation of a pi bond.

1. What is the difference between rotation of double and triple bonds?

The main difference between rotation of double and triple bonds is the number of pi bonds present. Double bonds have one pi bond, while triple bonds have two pi bonds. This means that triple bonds are stronger and have a shorter bond length compared to double bonds.

2. Why can't double and triple bonds rotate freely?

Double and triple bonds cannot rotate freely because of the presence of pi bonds. These bonds are formed by the overlap of p orbitals, which are perpendicular to the molecular axis. This restricts the rotation of the bond and makes it more rigid compared to single bonds.

3. How does the rotation of double and triple bonds affect the shape of a molecule?

The rotation of double and triple bonds can significantly affect the shape of a molecule. In molecules with double bonds, the restricted rotation can lead to the formation of geometric isomers. In molecules with triple bonds, the bond angle between the atoms is fixed, resulting in a linear shape.

4. Can double and triple bonds rotate in all directions?

No, double and triple bonds can only rotate about their bond axis. This means that they can rotate in a 180-degree plane around their bond, but they cannot rotate in all directions like single bonds.

5. How does the rotation of double and triple bonds affect the reactivity of a molecule?

The rotation of double and triple bonds can affect the reactivity of a molecule in several ways. For example, the restricted rotation of double bonds can affect the ability of a molecule to undergo addition reactions. Additionally, the strength of triple bonds can make them more reactive compared to double bonds.