1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation of rigid bodies: yo-yo

1. Apr 14, 2006 #1
    consider a yo-yo consisting of two cylinders of radius R1, (combined) mass M1, glued to another smaller cylinder of radius R2, mass M2. find the final velocity after falling a height h using newton's second law. assume the string is vertical.

[​IMG]

the inner radius R2 is R0, the outer radius R1 is R in this picture

so, i started off by applying f = ma to M2..

Fnet, y = (M1 + M2) - T = (M1 + M2)(a)cm

tnet, ext = T(R1) = I(alpha), alpha = (a)cm/R1

i calculated the moment of inertial to be the sum of the moments of inertia of the cylinders..

I = 1/2*(M1*R1^2 + M2*R2^2)

solving for (a)cm, i get a very nasty formula..

a = (M1 + M2)g / ( ( I/(2R1^2)) + (M1 + M2))

my original plan was to integrate this wrt time to get a velocity.
    but this formula doesn't involve anything that changes with time.. so how do i obtain the final velocity? am i even on the right track?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2006 #2

Fermat

Homework Helper

It looks ok.
    As you noticed, the expression for a doesn't involve anything that changes wrt time. In other words, a is constant!

If you had an object that was falling under gravity, what would its velocity be after having fallen a distance h?

So then, what if g = a?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?