Rotation with Newtons second law and work energy

So, you are correct there.Wait wait wait...I am confused...so is the \tau = M ?..and where does the r come in?..The r comes in because the torque is equal to the force applied (T) times the distance from the pivot point (r). So, the full equation is \tau = rT. And yes, in this case, \tau is equal to M.
Jason03
Heres the problem

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/2820/49686394mt3.jpg

Now I have to work it out using Newtons second law and Work energy...

For Newtons second Law (F = ma)...would I be using

[tex] I = mk^2 [/tex]

[tex] M = I\alpha [/tex]

than setting up F = ma...?

and for work energy I am using kinetic and potential...so the setup without using friction would just be using kinetic and potential?...and is the potential an elastic potential since its a wheel?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use [tex] \tau= I\alpha[/tex] where [tex]\tau[/tex] is the net torque external.
Let tension = T. Apply Newton's Second Law for rotational rotation T and angular acceleration

[tex]TR=I\alpha[/tex], where R is the radius of the pulley.

For the second part, Total Energy = Kinetic Energy + Potential Energy + Rotational Kinetic Energy
where Rotational Kinetic Energy = [tex]\frac_{1}{2}I\omega^2[/tex]

Last edited:
Sorry for double posting; I can't seem to edit my previous post, weird.

Rotational kinetic energy = [tex]\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2[/tex]

For this equ. that you had posted

[tex]TR=I\alpha[/tex]

is that relating to F = MA ?

also the T in the equ is tension, correct?..and if so where does the [tex]\tau [/tex]come in...

and just for clarification...my professor has been using the term "magnitude of the couple" instead of torque as you did...but the equ is the same...so I am assuming there one in the same...

Last edited:
Yes, T is the tension. As for magnitude of the couple, I believe it is the same thing as torque. (I've never really seen that term used before)

In order to relate the suspended mass with Newton's 2nd law, you can draw a free diagram to see more cleary.

We know that,
[tex]\Sigma F_{net}=ma_{y}[/tex], m is the mass of the suspended object
[tex]\Rightarrow mg-T=ma_{t}[/tex] Equation *, where T is the tension

But, we know that tangential acceleration [tex]a_{t}=R\alpha[/tex], R is the radius, alpha is the angular acceleration.
Then, [tex]\frac{mg-T}{m} = R\frac{TR}{I}[/tex]
Then, [tex]T= \frac{mg}{1+(mR^2/I}[/tex]
plug T back into Equation (*)

Solve for [tex]\alpha_{t} = \frac{1}{1+I/(mR^2)}[/tex]
Plug back R, solve for angular acceleration. Then solve for angular velocity.
(Please note that this is for when there is no friction between the rope and the pulley!)

Now, for the second part, using conservation of momentum. Let the distance that the mass drop = d.

By Conservation of momentum,
[tex]U_{f}+K_{f} = U_i + K_f = 0 +0 = 0[/tex]

Then, [tex]U_{f}=U_{object} + U_{pulley}=m_{object}g(-d)+m_{pulley}g(-d/2)[/tex]
[tex]K_{f} = ... = \frac{1}{2}(m_{object}+m_{pulley})v^2 [/tex]

After some simplification, [tex]v=\sqrt{2m_{object}gd/(m_{object}+m_{pulley}}}[/tex]
For d, plug in 5 revolutions from the problem. 5 revolutions are equal to 5*circumference of the pulley.
Then, solve for angular velocity.

Lastly, we know that [tex]\frac{1}{2}I_{pulley}\omega^2= \frac{1}{2}m_{pulley}v^2[/tex] by the rotational kinetic energy!

Hope that helped.

Last edited:
konthelion said:
Yes, T is the tension.

No, it is not. T (better written as the Greek letter tau, [itex]\tau[/itex]) is torque, not tension. Tension is a force. Torque has units length*force. It is a different beast.

D H said:
No, it is not. T (better written as the Greek letter tau, [itex]\tau[/itex]) is torque, not tension. Tension is a force. Torque has units length*force. It is a different beast.

Yes, I know. I just have a habit of writing tension as T and I believe I did use tau as torque and specified T as tension.

My equ looks like this for the first section ..I just need to solve for Tension...

(also I replaced tau with M which is the magnitde of the couple, which is given in the problem)

[tex]\frac{mg-T}{m} = r\frac{M}{I}[/tex]

also is the mass on each side of the equ. of the suspened object?

Yes, the m=mass of the suspended object (both m's), same as [tex] m_{object}[/tex] for the second method. mass of the pulley = [tex]m_{pulley}[/tex]

1. What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. In other words, the bigger the force applied to an object, the more it will accelerate, and the more mass an object has, the harder it will be to accelerate.

2. How does rotation fit into Newton's second law?

Rotation, or circular motion, can be described in terms of angular acceleration, which is the rate of change of angular velocity. Just like linear acceleration is caused by a force acting on an object, angular acceleration is caused by a torque acting on an object. Therefore, Newton's second law can also be applied to rotational motion in terms of torque and moment of inertia.

3. What is the connection between work and energy in rotational motion?

In rotational motion, work is the product of torque and angular displacement. This means that in order to do work on an object rotating about a fixed axis, a force must be applied at some distance from the axis of rotation. The energy of a rotating object is related to its angular velocity and moment of inertia, and the work done on the object can change its kinetic energy.

4. Can you give an example of how Newton's second law and work-energy theorem are applied in real life?

Sure! Think about a Ferris wheel at an amusement park. The Ferris wheel is rotating about a fixed axis, and in order to rotate, a torque must be applied to it. This torque comes from the motor that powers the wheel. As the Ferris wheel rotates, the work is being done on the riders, increasing their kinetic energy, and making them feel the sensation of being lifted off the ground.

5. Is there any other factor that affects rotational motion besides force and mass?

Yes, the distribution of mass in an object also affects its rotational motion. This is represented by the moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. Objects with a larger moment of inertia will be harder to rotate, even if they have the same mass and are subjected to the same force.