Rotational energy of diatomic molecule

In summary, the conversation discusses the harmonic model of a diatomic molecule and the calculation of its rotational energy. The author questions the use of reduced mass in the equation and how to derive the equation. They also ask about the moment of inertia and kinetic energy of the molecule's vibration.
nikolafmf
Hi,

I consider harmonic model of diatomic molecule: two atoms connected with a massless rod. Let one axis be along the rod, other two perpendicular to it. Let rotational velocity have components only trough perpendicular axes. In one book it is said that rotational energy of such diatomic molecule is 1/2*m*r^2*(omega(1)^2+omega(2)^2), where m is reduced mass, r is the length of the rod, omega(1) and omega(2) are the components of the rotational velocity.

Where this reduced mass come from? How can I derive this equation? I would appreciate any help.

Nikola

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the moment of inertia of a diatomic molecule about an axis passing through the center of mass?

Gokul43201 said:
What is the moment of inertia of a diatomic molecule about an axis passing through the center of mass?

First, thank you for your question which led me to the answer :).

The moment of inertia is m*L^2. So, when calculating rotational energy, author implicitely assumes that molecule rotates about an axis passing through its center of mass and is perpendicular to line conecting atoms. Why should be so? Why not another axis?

Conected with this problem is calculating kinetic energy of the molecule due its vibration. Let say that molecule doesn't rotate, its center of mass doesn't move, but only atoms move to and from each other (they vibrate). We know the mass of each atom and their relative velocity (but not their absolute velocity). How could I calculate kinetic energy due to this motion?

1. What is rotational energy of a diatomic molecule?

Rotational energy of a diatomic molecule is the energy associated with the rotation of the molecule around its center of mass. This energy is determined by the moment of inertia of the molecule and its rotational velocity.

2. How is rotational energy calculated for a diatomic molecule?

The rotational energy of a diatomic molecule can be calculated using the formula E = J(J+1)h^2/8π^2I, where J is the rotational quantum number and I is the moment of inertia of the molecule.

3. What factors affect the rotational energy of a diatomic molecule?

The rotational energy of a diatomic molecule is affected by its moment of inertia, which is dependent on the mass and distribution of the atoms in the molecule. It is also affected by the rotational velocity of the molecule.

4. What is the significance of rotational energy in diatomic molecules?

Rotational energy is an important component of a diatomic molecule's overall energy and plays a crucial role in its spectroscopic properties. It also affects the molecule's ability to vibrate and interact with other molecules.

5. How does temperature affect the rotational energy of a diatomic molecule?

At higher temperatures, molecules have a higher rotational energy due to increased thermal energy causing them to rotate faster. This can lead to changes in the molecule's spectroscopic properties and can also affect its chemical reactivity.