1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Forces on a Hollow Cylinder

1. Oct 21, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to model a hollow cylinder of known radius r, length l and density rho.
    The cylinder is fixed on a horizontal axle along its longest axis (l) and will have a force F applied tangentially to its surface and perpendicular to its axis, with negligible frictional forces acting between it and the axle.
    What equations could I use to model the speed of its rotation?

2. Relevant equations
    Mass = pi*r2*l*rho
    Some equation involving moments, potentially?
    I am a mathematician and have little work on angular velocity, so I apologise for the trouble.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have attempted to find a relevant equation but all searches gave either inapplicable scenarios or equations quoted ad verbatim with no clarification to notation.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do you know about moment of inertia... how it is defined, the formula for the MoI of a cylinder, its use in angular acceleration...?

4. Oct 21, 2015 #3
    Okay, so I have found the equation I = MR^2 for a cylindrical shell of negligible width being rotated along its long axis, which is close to what I'm looking for. However, I would not know how to include such an equation in finding angular acceleration.

5. Oct 21, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's very like the linear equation: torque about axis = moment of inertia about axis * angular acceleration about axis.

6. Oct 22, 2015 #5
    That's perfect, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted