1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder derivation

1. Dec 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that a hollow cylinder of radius R_1, outer radius R_2, and mass M, is I=1/2M(R_1^2+R_2^2) if the rotation axis is through the center along the axis of symmetry.

2. Relevant equations

$$dm = \rho dV$$
    $$dV = (2 \pi R)(dR)(h)$$

3. The attempt at a solution

I was mainly confused about why dV is expressed as (2piR)(dR)(h) since the Volume of a cylinder is 2pir^2h. I know that the variable of integration is R so there has to be a dR in there somewhere, but I'm having trouble understanding the rationale.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2016 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##dV## is not a cylinder. It is a small piece of a cylinder. Can you see what shape it is?

4. Dec 9, 2016 #3
    It's a thin ring, sorry.

5. Dec 9, 2016 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It has length ##h##, so it is effectively a thin hollow cylinder. Using this ##dV## would be one way to show that the volume of a cylinder is ##\pi R^2 h##. You could also use this to get the volume of your hollow cylinder.

You could try that as a preliminary exercise before you do the MoI calculation. I find that can be a useful test that you've set up your integration properly, as you know the answer in advance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted