1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Kinematics-YoYo Dropping from Ceiling

1. Sep 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here's the problem in a JPG, with the image:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=d277r7r_50c9trfbdr

(the 25 points is b/c it's a practice test)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

A)KE=0, PE=0 (defined to be at cylinder's initial position)

B)PE=Mg(-h)

C)Final KE=.5*M*(2gh)^2 (To get this, I used the v^2=vi^2 + 2aX equation, plugged it in for v^2 in KE=.5mv^2)

However, I don't think my equations are right because if my KE was that, there would have to be extra energy put into the system for the yo-yo to rotate at all, thus there would be no rotational kinetic energy, which doesn't seem to jive with the original provlem. Where am I going wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

You are quite correct about you last eqn.

The final KE = ½Mv² + ½Iω²., where ω is related to v. This should take take of your problem.

4. Sep 13, 2008 #3
    Okay, so I know that I=(MR^2)/2, but you said that w is related to v. I don't see the relation?

5. Sep 13, 2008 #4

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Without giving you a direct answer, think of the angular displacement of any point on the disk and its relationship to the distance travelled by the centre. What is the relationship between the v and ω of a wheel rolling without sliding? I am sure you can take it from here.

6. Sep 13, 2008 #5
    Hmm. Okay. So, if there's rolling w/out slipping, then v=wR. I then plugged that into the fact that -Mgh=½Mv² + ½Iω², and plugged into the w (that w=v/R). I did a bunch of algebra, and got that v=sqrt(-4gh/3), which works out to be a positive # b/c h is defined to be a negative distance fallen. Is that the right answer for the velocity of the center of mass?

7. Sep 13, 2008 #6

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Looks good, but I fail to see where the "lot" of algebra came in.

[-Mgh = ½Mv² + ½Iω² = (3/4)Mv², by putting ω=v/R , cannot be counted as a lot of algebra...:cool:]

However, looking at the original question, you are supposed to give the KE-rot in terms of R, M and v. That would just be (1/4)Mv².

I think that covers everything. Good job.

8. Sep 13, 2008 #7
    Sorry, I'm kind of lazy when it comes to simplification, so that's why I thought it was a 'lot' of algebra :). Thank you very, very much for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?