1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Kinetic Energy of a flywheel

1. Jul 13, 2008 #1
    Problem: An experimental flywheel, used to store energy and replace an automobile engine, is a solid disk of mass 200.0 kg and radius 0.40 m. (a) What is it's rotational inertia? (my calculation says 16 kg.m) (b) When driving at 22.4 m/s (50 mph), the fully energized flywheel is rotating at an angular speed of 3160 rads/s. What is the initial rotational kinetic energy of the flywheel?

My thinking was to find the KE (rotational) = 1/2 I w^2 but the number is huge.
    1/2 (16)(3160). Am I on the right track? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi Djbari,

What did you get? If that's really what you multiplied together ( 1/2 (16)(3160) ) then you answer would be too small, since you did not square the angular speed.

4. Jul 15, 2008 #3
    I did have the 3160 squared and got 79,884,800......??

5. Jul 15, 2008 #4

alphysicist

Homework Helper

If they want the kinetic energy when it is spinning at 3160 rad/second, then that sounds right to me. Remember this flywheel has the mass of several people, spread out over a diameter of .8m, and is spinning at about 500 revolutions per second.

6. Jul 15, 2008 #5
    ok. I had no clue. Thank you for explaining. I will find out the solution tonite in class.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?