Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Kinetic energy of a Hypothetical Planet?

1. Oct 29, 2014 #1
    Would there be any way to get the energy from the rotation of a planet, which is an earth like planet in material, sized like Jupiter, and seems to have a 24 hr day.

I am just starting to get into real Physics, So I am not even sure where to start getting the numbers to work with, and I would like a more accurate answer then one I would get on my own. So if someone could tell me even an estimate of what it would be, that would help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2014 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I certainly don't want to deter you from your project, since I sometimes write science fiction myself (I assume that you are doing so, based upon the question), and I'm really glad to see that you are seeking true information rather than making up something absurd. I'm not going to try to address your main question until one thing gets clarified. I don't think that it's in any way possible to have a planet of Earth-like composition achieve anything like the size of Jupiter. Jupiter is a star that didn't quite make it through puberty. Is there some reason that you need it to be so?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook