Rotational Kinetic energy of a Hypothetical Planet?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of obtaining energy from the rotation of a planet similar to Earth in material, but the size of Jupiter with a 24 hour day. The person asking the question is seeking accurate information for their project, possibly in the genre of science fiction. The expert points out that it is not possible for an Earth-like planet to reach the size of Jupiter, which is essentially a failed star.
Easternwind
Would there be any way to get the energy from the rotation of a planet, which is an Earth like planet in material, sized like Jupiter, and seems to have a 24 hr day.

I am just starting to get into real Physics, So I am not even sure where to start getting the numbers to work with, and I would like a more accurate answer then one I would get on my own. So if someone could tell me even an estimate of what it would be, that would help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I certainly don't want to deter you from your project, since I sometimes write science fiction myself (I assume that you are doing so, based upon the question), and I'm really glad to see that you are seeking true information rather than making up something absurd. I'm not going to try to address your main question until one thing gets clarified. I don't think that it's in any way possible to have a planet of Earth-like composition achieve anything like the size of Jupiter. Jupiter is a star that didn't quite make it through puberty. Is there some reason that you need it to be so?

1. What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation. It is a form of kinetic energy, which is the energy an object has due to its motion.

2. How is rotational kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for calculating rotational kinetic energy is: KE = 1/2 * I * w^2, where KE is the rotational kinetic energy in joules, I is the moment of inertia in kilograms*meters^2, and w is the angular velocity in radians/second.

3. How does rotational kinetic energy apply to a hypothetical planet?

Rotational kinetic energy applies to a hypothetical planet in the same way it applies to any rotating object. The planet's rotation gives it kinetic energy, which can be calculated using the formula mentioned above.

4. What factors affect the rotational kinetic energy of a planet?

The rotational kinetic energy of a planet is affected by its mass, radius, and angular velocity. The moment of inertia also plays a role, which is dependent on the planet's shape and distribution of mass.

5. Can rotational kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, rotational kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy or thermal energy. This can occur through processes such as friction or collisions with other objects.