Rotational Kinetic energy of a Hypothetical Planet?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Easternwind
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Would there be any way to get the energy from the rotation of a planet, which is an Earth like planet in material, sized like Jupiter, and seems to have a 24 hr day.

I am just starting to get into real Physics, So I am not even sure where to start getting the numbers to work with, and I would like a more accurate answer then one I would get on my own. So if someone could tell me even an estimate of what it would be, that would help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I certainly don't want to deter you from your project, since I sometimes write science fiction myself (I assume that you are doing so, based upon the question), and I'm really glad to see that you are seeking true information rather than making up something absurd. I'm not going to try to address your main question until one thing gets clarified. I don't think that it's in any way possible to have a planet of Earth-like composition achieve anything like the size of Jupiter. Jupiter is a star that didn't quite make it through puberty. Is there some reason that you need it to be so?