Rotational Kinetic Energy and Frictionless Surfaces

In summary, when a ball transitions from rolling on a surface to a frictionless surface, the rotational energy will be transformed into translational energy, causing the ball to go faster without rolling. This is due to the absence of friction, which is required to keep the ball rolling. However, if no torque acts on the ball, it will continue to rotate according to the law of conservation of angular momentum.
econ94
What happens if a ball goes from rolling on a surface to a frictionless surface? I know friction is required for the ball to roll, so would the rotational energy be transformed into translational energy (the ball goes faster without rolling), or does something else happen?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
My intuition tells me that the ball would keep rolling. What would be required to stop the ball from rolling? Well, friction, and since there is none, the ball keeps rolling. One would think that you wouldn't be able to tell when the ball transitions surfaces.

econ94 said:
What happens if a ball goes from rolling on a surface to a frictionless surface? I know friction is required for the ball to roll, so would the rotational energy be transformed into translational energy (the ball goes faster without rolling), or does something else happen?

Thanks!

Friction is required to make the ball roll, but once it rolls, it will rotate further if no torque acts on it, according to conservation of angular momentum.

ehild

1. What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation around an axis. It is dependent on the object's moment of inertia and angular velocity.

2. How is rotational kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for calculating rotational kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where I is the object's moment of inertia and ω is its angular velocity.

3. What is the difference between rotational kinetic energy and linear kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy associated with an object's rotation, while linear kinetic energy is the energy associated with an object's motion in a straight line.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect an object's rotational kinetic energy?

The distribution of mass affects an object's rotational kinetic energy through its moment of inertia. Objects with more mass located farther away from the axis of rotation have a greater moment of inertia and thus, a higher rotational kinetic energy.

5. Can rotational kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, rotational kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy or heat, through processes like friction or collisions.