Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational & linear dynamics: why so similar?

1. Apr 26, 2009 #1
    I'm not an advanced physics student -- I've only taken the basic year -- but I'm curious about a conceptual issue and wonder if someone could give me a satisfying explanation. There are obviously pretty tight parallels between basic linear kinematics/dynamics and the rotational equivalents -- so (F = ma) is analogous to (torque = moment of inertia * rotational acceleration); and the basic equations of rotational kinematics similarly have exact analogs in the linear kinematic equations.

So why is this? It doesn't actually seem obvious that there should be a direct rotational analog to "momentum" that functions in exactly the same way, mathematically, that momentum does in linear motion. Can anyone help me out with an explanation -- is there some deeper analogy between rotating and moving in a straight line?

Again, I realize this isn't the most sophisticated question, so thanks in advance for helping satisfy my untutored curiosity.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2009 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You'll find the reason for the analogy next year when you take classical mechanics. If you are truly interested, take a look at the text for that class.

You will also find that the analogy isn't perfect. Mass is a scalar while inertia is a 2nd order tensor. Moreover, the inertia tensor is constant in a frame rotating with the object, but not from the perspective of an inertial frame. This means that rotational equations of motion are most easily expressed from the perspective of a rotating frame. I assume you are aware that one must conjure up fictitious forces (centrifugal and coriolis forces) to make Newton's laws appear to be valid in a rotating frame. The same applies to rotational motion. The equation τ = Iω is, in general, incorrect. It ignores the effects of doing physics in a rotating frame. To date you have only been shown examples where the tensorial and rotating frame nature of the equations of motion can be ignored.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook