Rotational Motion and Linear Speec

In summary, the rubber ball had a rotational speed of 5.15 radians per second when it fell off the edge of the table.
dukes

Homework Statement

A rubber ball with a radius of .048 m rolls along the horizontal surface of a table with a constant linear speed v. When the ball rolls off the edge of the table, it falls 0.85 m to the floor below. If the ball completes 0.82 revolutions during its fall, what was its linear speed, v?

Homework Equations

I know to find linear speed the equation v=rw must be used.
Revolutions are changed to radians so it's 5.15 radians

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to turn revolutions into radians and then use the equation T=2pi/w
and then did v=rw. I don't really know where to begin this problem since the problem has revolutions and not rpm. When i solved it like rpm it didn't work.please help me! I'm so confused!

Physics news on Phys.org
dukes said:

Homework Statement

A rubber ball with a radius of .048 m rolls along the horizontal surface of a table with a constant linear speed v. When the ball rolls off the edge of the table, it falls 0.85 m to the floor below. If the ball completes 0.82 revolutions during its fall, what was its linear speed, v?

Homework Equations

I know to find linear speed the equation v=rw must be used.
Revolutions are changed to radians so it's 5.15 radians

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to turn revolutions into radians and then use the equation T=2pi/w
and then did v=rw. I don't really know where to begin this problem since the problem has revolutions and not rpm. When i solved it like rpm it didn't work.

please help me! I'm so confused!

Well, you know how to convert rotational speed to linear speed using the equation in step 2 - all you need is the rotational speed and the radius of the ball. You also know the radius. So the question is, how do you find the rotational speed?

You are given a distance the object falls (under acceleration from gravity), and you are given the number of rotations. Rotations / time is rotational speed. See if you can calculate the time and go from there.

so to find time can i just divide distance/acceleration and then take the square root?
Also when you say revolutions/ time = rotational speed I have to change revolutions to radians correct?

never mind i figured it out! thanks so much for your help!

1. What is the difference between rotational motion and linear speed?

Rotational motion refers to the movement of an object around an axis, while linear speed is the rate at which an object travels in a straight line. In other words, rotational motion involves circular or curved movement, while linear speed involves straight movement.

2. How is rotational motion measured?

Rotational motion is typically measured in units of radians or degrees per second. Radians measure the angle of rotation, while degrees measure the amount of rotation in relation to a full circle. The speed of rotational motion can also be measured in units of rotations per minute (RPM).

3. What factors affect rotational motion?

The speed of rotational motion is influenced by several factors, including the radius of the rotating object, the mass of the object, and the force applied to it. The shape and distribution of mass within the object can also affect its rotational motion.

4. How is linear speed related to rotational motion?

Linear speed and rotational motion are closely related, as they both involve the movement of an object. In rotational motion, the linear speed of an object at a given point is equal to the distance from the axis of rotation multiplied by the angular velocity (rate of rotation) at that point.

5. Can rotational motion be converted into linear motion?

Yes, rotational motion can be converted into linear motion through the use of gears or pulleys. As the gears or pulleys rotate, the linear speed of the object connected to them will also change, allowing for the conversion of rotational motion into linear motion.