Rotational Motion of a baseball

In summary, a major-league pitcher throws a baseball towards home plate at an average translational speed of 40.2m/s. The ball rotates at 1560 rpms and travels 18.5 meters to the plate. To calculate the number of revolutions the ball makes during this trip, the formula (2)(pi)(1560)/60 is used. This gives a result of 163.362818 revolutions. The momentum conservation principle explains that the ball maintains its frequency of rotation during the journey. To calculate the time of the journey, the kinematic equations can be used since there is information on both the horizontal and vertical axes
manuel60

Homework Statement

A major-League pitcher throws a baseball towards home plate. the ball rotates at 1560 rpms,and it travels 18.5 meters to the plate at an average translational speed of 40.2m/s.how many revolutions does the ball make during this trip?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(2)(pi)(1560)/60=163.362818

Physics news on Phys.org
manuel60 said:

Homework Statement

A major-League pitcher throws a baseball towards home plate. the ball rotates at 1560 rpms,and it travels 18.5 meters to the plate at an average translational speed of 40.2m/s.how many revolutions does the ball make during this trip?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(2)(pi)(1560)/60=163.362818
What's the 2π for?

The question asks how many revolutions the ball makes during its trip to home plate. You didn't even calculate how long it takes the ball to make this trip.

I have trouble with rotational motion so I am honestly not sure what I am doing?
sorry I have a horrible teacher all she does is give us work and notes and doesn't actually teach

manuel60 said:
I have trouble with rotational motion so I am honestly not sure what I am doing?
sorry I have a horrible teacher all she does is give us work and notes and doesn't actually teach
Terrible, but irrelevant.

If an object rotates at 10 revolutions per minute (RPM), how many revolutions does it make in one minute? In ten minutes?

You don't need a world-class physicist to teach you this.

Because of the momentum conservation (during the motion only the weight acts on the ball but it's torque is 0) the ball maintain its frequency of rotation during it's journey, the frequency is given by the number of revolutions n divided by time, you have to get n
Since you have f the only thing you need to get n is the time of the journey, this is a parabolic motion, you have info on the horizontal axis

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Magnus effect and how does it affect the rotational motion of a baseball?

The Magnus effect is the phenomenon where a spinning object experiences a force perpendicular to its direction of motion. In the case of a baseball, this means that as the ball rotates, it creates a pressure difference between the top and bottom of the ball, causing it to curve in flight. This is why pitchers are able to throw curveballs and other types of breaking pitches.

2. How does the speed of rotation affect the trajectory of a baseball?

The speed of rotation, also known as the spin rate, plays a crucial role in determining the trajectory of a baseball. A higher spin rate will result in a more pronounced curve due to the increased pressure difference. However, if the spin rate is too high, the ball may not travel as far due to increased air resistance. It's all about finding the right balance for each pitch.

3. Can a baseball change its direction of rotation mid-flight?

Yes, it is possible for a baseball to change its direction of rotation mid-flight. This can happen when the ball comes in contact with an object, such as a bat or the ground, that alters its spin. It can also occur when a pitcher intentionally throws a knuckleball, which has no spin at all.

4. How does air resistance affect the rotational motion of a baseball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the rotational motion of a baseball by slowing down its spin and causing it to drop faster. The amount of drag depends on the speed and size of the ball, as well as the density and viscosity of the air. This is why pitchers often try to throw pitches with less spin, such as a sinker, to minimize the effects of air resistance.

5. How do different seams on a baseball affect its rotational motion?

The seams on a baseball play a significant role in its rotational motion. The raised seams create turbulence in the air, which can increase drag and cause the ball to break more. Different types of pitches, such as a slider or a curveball, utilize the seams in different ways to achieve their desired movement. This is why pitchers often try to grip the ball in specific ways to enhance the effects of the seams.