Rotational Motion of a slender rod

In summary, the problem involves a slender rod with a mass and length, released from rest at theta=0 degrees. The pin at A exerts a normal force along the rod, but its magnitude is not necessarily equal to the tension in the rod. The tension in the rod is not constant and the pivot can exert both pulling and pushing forces on the rod. In the case of a mass attached to a string and rotated in a vertical circle, tension acts towards the center but there is also a normal force acting in the opposite direction, along with the component of Mg along the rod, to provide the centripetal force.
zorro

Homework Statement

A slender rod shown in the figure has a mass m and length l and is released from rest when theta=0 degrees. The horizontal and vertical components of force which the pin at A exerts on the rod at the instant shown in the figure is ?

attachment.php?attachmentid=32934&stc=1&d=1299788946.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I have some basic problems with this question.
The pivot at A exerts a normal force along the rod. Is the magnitude of this normal force equal to that of the tension in the rod?

Attachments

• r.jpg
    r.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 518
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The force of the pin on the rod is equal to the tension in the rod at A, but the tension is not constant along the rod.

ehild

Ok, I drew this F.B.D. from what I understood:

attachment.php?attachmentid=32951&stc=1&d=1299837721.jpg

In the problems of a mass attached to a string and rotated in a vertical circle, we have tension acting on the mass towards the centre.
But I don't find any force towards the pivot/pin which is responsible for the centripetal force.

Attachments

• r2.jpg
    r2.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 466
Normal force will act in opposite direction. That along with component of Mg along the rod will give centripetal force.

Abdul Quadeer said:
But I don't find any force towards the pivot/pin which is responsible for the centripetal force.

The pivot can both pull and push the rod.

ehild

Thanks!

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion refers to the movement of an object around a fixed axis. This type of motion involves both linear and angular components.

2. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

In linear motion, an object moves along a straight path, while in rotational motion, an object moves in a circular path around a fixed axis.

3. What is a slender rod?

A slender rod is a long, thin object with a small diameter compared to its length. It is often used to refer to a thin, cylindrical object such as a pencil or a pole.

4. What factors affect the rotational motion of a slender rod?

The rotational motion of a slender rod is affected by its mass, length, and the torque applied to it. The shape and surface area of the rod can also impact its rotational motion.

5. How is rotational motion of a slender rod calculated?

The rotational motion of a slender rod can be calculated using the equation τ = Iα, where τ is the torque applied, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. The moment of inertia is dependent on the mass and distribution of mass of the rod, while the angular acceleration is influenced by the applied torque and the rod's moment of inertia.