Rotational Kinetic Energy Problem

In summary, a 3.8 kg rod with a length of 3.0 m rotates at 34 radians/s around an axis perpendicular to the rod, with a center speed of 10 m/s. To find its rotational kinetic energy, use the equation Krot= 1/2I*w^2. The moment of inertia for a uniform rod is ml^2/12. The correct answers for (a) and (b) are 1650 J and 1840 J, respectively.
Loppyfoot

Homework Statement

A thin uniform-density rod whose mass is 3.8 kg and whose length is 3.0 m rotates around an axis perpendicular to the rod, with angular speed 34 radians/s. Its center moves with a speed of 10 m/s.

(a) What is its rotational kinetic energy?
(b) What is its total kinetic energy?

Homework Equations

Well I know that Krot= 1/2I* w2. But when I try to use this equation, I get the wrong answer. I also know that I= 1/2mr^2

The correct answers are:

(a)= 1650 J
(b)= 1840 J

Does anyone have any idea on where I'm going wrong?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Loppyfoot said:
I also know that I= 1/2mr^2

from where did you get this?

Moment of Inertia= mr^2. Sorry.

How did you get that?

That's not the equation? Then what equation would I use to represent the rod with moment of inertia?

moment of inertia of a uniform rod is ml^2/12 about its center of mass.

1. What is rotational velocity?

Rotational velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a central axis. It is typically measured in units of radians per second or revolutions per minute.

2. How is rotational velocity different from linear velocity?

While linear velocity measures how fast an object is moving in a straight line, rotational velocity measures how fast an object is rotating around a central axis. They are two different types of motion and are measured in different units.

3. How is rotational velocity calculated?

Rotational velocity is calculated by dividing the angular displacement (change in angle) by the time it takes to make that change. This can be represented by the formula ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is rotational velocity, Δθ is angular displacement, and Δt is time.

4. How does rotational velocity affect an object's stability?

The higher the rotational velocity of an object, the less stable it becomes. This is because at higher speeds, centrifugal force (the force that pulls an object away from the center of rotation) becomes more significant, making it harder for the object to maintain its position and balance.

5. How is rotational velocity used in real-life applications?

Rotational velocity has many real-life applications, including in vehicles such as cars and airplanes where it affects stability and handling. It is also important in industries such as manufacturing and engineering, where precise rotational velocities are necessary for the proper functioning of machines and equipment.