Rudin Ch 5, #29: Uniqueness Theorem for Systems of ODEs

  • Thread starter Thread starter Quantumpencil
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Quantumpencil
Messages
96
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Specialize exercise 28 by considering the system

[tex]\y'= y_{j+1} j=(1,...,k-1)<br /> y'_{k}= f(x)-\sum g_{j}(x)y_{j} where the summation runs from j=1 to j=k, and g_{j} and f are continuous real functions on [a,b], and derive a uniqueness theorem for solutions of the equation<br /> <br /> y^{k}+g_{k}(x)y^{k-1}+...+g_{2}y'+g_{1}(x)y = f(x)<br /> <br /> subject to initial conditions<br /> <br /> y(a)=c_{1}, y'(a)= c_{2}, y^{k-1}(a) = c_{k}.[\tex]<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <h2>Homework Equations</h2><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <h2>The Attempt at a Solution</h2>[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Quantumpencil! :smile:

(you use the wrong slash: :wink:)
Quantumpencil said:
Specialize exercise 28 by considering the system

[tex]y'= y_{j+1}, j=(1,...,k-1),\ y'_{k}= f(x)-\sum g_{j}(x)y_{j}[/tex] where the summation runs from j=1 to j=k, and g_{j} and f are continuous real functions on [a,b], and derive a uniqueness theorem for solutions of the equation

[tex]y^{k}+g_{k}(x)y^{k-1}+...+g_{2}y'+g_{1}(x)y = f(x)[/tex]

subject to initial conditions

[tex]y(a)=c_{1}, y'(a)= c_{2}, y^{k-1}(a) = c_{k}[/tex]

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:
 
yeah, so I didn't realize I made this thread; it's incomplete. Could I get it locked?

The actual thread I need help on is further-down and contains the good tech + information about how I think the solution will work out.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=297047

This is the link to the actual topic.
 
Last edited: