Mean of the square of a sum of exponential terms

• Thread starter grepecs
  • Start date

Homework Statement

[/B]
Calculate [itex]\widehat{Y^{2}}[/itex]

(i.e., the mean of the square of [itex]Y[/itex].

Homework Equations

[tex]Y=\sum_{k=0}^{N-1}y_{k}[/tex]

where

[tex]y_{k}=e^{-\gamma t}e^{\gamma \tau k}G_{k}[/tex]

and

[tex]t=N\tau[/tex]

The quantities [itex]y_{k}[/itex] (or [itex]G_{k}[/itex]) are statistically independent.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\widehat{Y^{2}}=\widehat{G^{2}}e^{-2\gamma t}\sum_{k=0}^{N-1}e^{2\gamma \tau k}=\widehat{G^{2}}e^{-2\gamma t}(\ \frac{1-e^{2\gamma t}}{1-e^{2\gamma \tau}} ) [/tex]

However, the correct answer should be

[tex]\widehat{Y^{2}}=\widehat{G^{2}}\frac{1}{2\gamma\tau} (\ 1-e^{-2\gamma \tau} )[/tex]

so it seems like I'm doing something wrong, or is it possible to somehow simplify my answer in order to get the correct one?

Answers and Replies

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

Homework Statement

[/B]
Calculate [itex]\widehat{Y^{2}}[/itex]

(i.e., the mean of the square of [itex]Y[/itex].

Homework Equations

[tex]Y=\sum_{k=0}^{N-1}y_{k}[/tex]

where

[tex]y_{k}=e^{-\gamma t}e^{\gamma \tau k}G_{k}[/tex]

and

[tex]t=N\tau[/tex]

The quantities [itex]y_{k}[/itex] (or [itex]G_{k}[/itex]) are statistically independent.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\widehat{Y^{2}}=\widehat{G^{2}}e^{-2\gamma t}\sum_{k=0}^{N-1}e^{2\gamma \tau k}=\widehat{G^{2}}e^{-2\gamma t}(\ \frac{1-e^{2\gamma t}}{1-e^{2\gamma \tau}} ) [/tex]

However, the correct answer should be

[tex]\widehat{Y^{2}}=\widehat{G^{2}}\frac{1}{2\gamma\tau} (\ 1-e^{-2\gamma \tau} )[/tex]

so it seems like I'm doing something wrong, or is it possible to somehow simplify my answer in order to get the correct one?

Unless the quantities ##G_k## have mean zero (##E G_k = 0##) and are identically distributed for different ##k## (or, at least, all have the same second moments), the expression you give is incorrect; and in that case the one given in the book (or wherever) is also incorrect. As far as I can see, the only way you could obtain something like the second expression would be to have non-zero values of ##E G_j G_k## of the form ##E G_j G_k = E(G^2) c_{jk}##, where ##E(G^2) \equiv E(G_1^2) = E(G_2^2) = \cdots = E(G_{N-1}^2)##. This is because we have ##Y = \sum_{k=1}^{N-1} w_k G_k## (with ##w_k = e^{-\gamma t} e^{\gamma \tau k}##), so that
[tex] Y^2 = \sum_{k=1}^{N-1} w_k^2 G_k^2 + 2 \sum_{1 \leq j < k \leq N-1} w_j w_k G_j G_k, [/tex]
so you would need an appropriate value for the expectation of the second summation above, and that would depend on the form of the coefficients ##c_{jk}##.