Rudin Chapter 5 #29, getting started

• Thread starter Quantumpencil
  • Start date
In summary, the problem asks for a solution to a system of differentiable equations where the polynomial expression in the problem represents the difference between two possible solutions. If an A exists that bounds the two solutions, the result follows.
Quantumpencil

Homework Statement

Specialize exercise 28 by considering the system

[tex]\ y'= y_{j+1} j=(1,...,k-1)
y'_{k}= f(x)-\sum g_{j}(x)y_{j}[/tex]

where the summation runs from j=1 to j=k, and [tex]\g_{j} and f[/tex] are continuous real functions on [a,b], and derive a uniqueness theorem for solutions of the equation

[tex]\ y^{k}+g_{k}(x)y^{k-1}+...+g_{2}y'+g_{1}(x)y = f(x)[/tex]

subject to initial conditions

[tex]\ y(a)=c_{1}, y'(a)= c_{2}, y^{k-1}(a) = c_{k}.[/tex]

here the kth power denotes the "kth" derivative.

Homework Equations

The problem is supposed to be similar to 26, 27, and 28 in Rudin which we also worked through on this problem set. The idea of those problems is to show the uniqueness of a solution to a system of differentiable equations, by defining some other function as the difference between two possible solutions and applying the result we proved in 26, if f is differentiable on [a,b], f(a)=0, and there exists a real number A such that [tex]\left|f'(x)\right| \leq A\left|f(x)\right|[/tex], then f(x)=0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm sort of confused on exactly what this problem is asking... like, what does the polynomial expression mean here, and what might it's solutions look like? Like if I'm understanding the question we basically have a vector where each component is one of the derivative of that before it except for the final one; so I think we should be able to apply a component wise version of the uniqueness theorem proved in 27/28 (28 being the extension to vectors by operating on each component), and saying if there is an A that bounds two solution vectors like this, the result follows.

What I'm not understanding is how this relates to the final expression and why I care about the g(x)'s.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so I think I might have an idea of how to the problem. Can someone explain to me where that last polynomial expression comes from though?

Grr... this is confusing me a lot. Have I left out any important information someone needs to explain or something?

1. What is the purpose of Rudin Chapter 5 #29?

Rudin Chapter 5 #29 is meant to help readers get started with the concepts and problems presented in the chapter. It serves as an introduction to the material and provides a foundation for further learning.

2. How do I approach Rudin Chapter 5 #29?

It is recommended to start by reading the section carefully and understanding the definitions and theorems presented. Then, try to solve the problems on your own before looking at the solutions. This will help you develop a deeper understanding of the material.

3. Are there any resources to help with Rudin Chapter 5 #29?

Yes, there are various online resources such as study guides, practice problems, and video tutorials that can aid in understanding and solving problems in Chapter 5 of Rudin. Additionally, reaching out to peers or a tutor for help can also be beneficial.

4. What if I am struggling with Rudin Chapter 5 #29?

It is normal to face difficulties when learning new concepts. If you are struggling with Rudin Chapter 5 #29, try breaking down the material into smaller chunks and practicing regularly. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor to clarify any doubts or misunderstandings.

5. How can I apply the concepts in Rudin Chapter 5 #29 to real-life situations?

The concepts presented in Rudin Chapter 5 #29 have real-life applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. These concepts can help in solving problems and understanding complex systems. Additionally, they can also improve critical thinking skills and logical reasoning.