S11 of Ideal Transmission line on a Smith Chart

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Xyius
Messages
501
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


An ideal transmission line is terminated with a load impedance of 90 ohms and has a characteristic impedance of 50 ohms. Why does it's S11 response trace out a circle on the smith chart?

Homework Equations


[tex]Z_{\text{in}}=Z_0\frac{Z_0+j Z_L \tan(\beta l)}{Z_L+j Z_0 \tan(\beta l)}[/tex]
[tex]S_{11}=\Gamma=\frac{Z_{\text{in}}-Z_0}{Z_{\text{in}}+Z_0}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


So my thought was that perhaps I can plug the expression for ##Z_{\text{in}}## into the expression for ##S_{11}## and simplify and get an expression for a circle. After many tries, the closest thing I can come up with is the following.

[tex]S_{11}=\frac{e^{-j\beta l}}{(Z_0+Z_L)}\left[ (Z_L-Z_0)\cos(\beta l)- j (Z_L+Z_0) \sin(\beta l) \right][/tex]

This kind of looks like the equation for an ellipse inside the brackets, but the term out front kills it.

Am I doing this all wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you set l, the length of the transmission line to zero, then ZIN should equal ZL. But it doesn't in your first expression. Look again at your expression for ZIN.