What is the reflection coefficient on a transmission line at a resistor halfway?

In summary, to calculate the reflection coefficient for the spot where the resistor is halfway in a coaxial transmission line with a resistor at the end, use the formula \Gamma_L = \frac{Z_L-Z_o}{Z_L+Z_o} where Z_L is the equivalent impedance seen by resistor a, which can be found by taking the length L/2 of wire and impedance a in parallel. This equivalent impedance can then be used with the reflection formula to calculate the reflection coefficient.
Rib5

Homework Statement

If I have a coaxial transmission line, with a resistor halfway through, and another resistor at the end, how do I calculate the reflection coefficient for the spot where the resistor is halfway?

Here is a diagram of what I mean. Dashes and dots are are the lines, and } are resistors.

----------
...}a...}b

Homework Equations

[tex]\Gamma_{L} = \frac{Z_L-Z_o}{Z_L+Z_o}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty sure the formula I am supposed to use is [tex]\Gamma_L = \frac{Z_L-Z_o}{Z_L+Z_o}[/tex]. What I am not sure is what value to choose for [tex]Z_L[/tex]. Do I take [tex]Z_o[/tex] in parallel with [tex]R_A[/tex]?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you know how you can take any length of transmission line plus an impedance at the end, and transform it into a single impedance that the source sees?

Well, put your finger over resistor a and the rest of the circuit, and apply that formula to transform your circuit from
L/2 of wire-> impedance a -> L/2 of wire -> impedance b
into
L/2 of wire -> impedance a -> equivalent impedance B

you need to use the length L/2, not L, when you calculate the equivalent impedance for resistor b, because you're calculating the equivalent impedance that resistor a sees. Next, now that resistor behaves just like they do in your circuits class. Take equiv b in parallel with a (assuming a branches across and connects the wires) to find a single impedance at the "end of the wire" (which represents what impedance is seen at the halfway point). Then apply your reflection equation.

1. What is the reflection coefficient on a transmission line?

The reflection coefficient on a transmission line is a measure of the amount of signal that is reflected back from the end of the line. It is expressed as a ratio of the amplitude of the reflected wave to the amplitude of the incident wave.

2. How is the reflection coefficient calculated?

The reflection coefficient is calculated by dividing the difference between the incident and reflected waves by the sum of the incident and reflected waves.

3. What is a transmission line?

A transmission line is a type of electrical circuit that is designed to transmit signals from one point to another with minimal loss or distortion. It typically consists of a conductor, such as a wire, and an insulating material, such as a coaxial cable.

4. What does it mean for a resistor to be halfway on a transmission line?

A resistor is considered to be halfway on a transmission line when it is located at the midpoint of the line. This means that the distance between the resistor and either end of the line is equal.

5. How does the reflection coefficient change at a resistor halfway on a transmission line?

At a resistor halfway on a transmission line, the reflection coefficient is equal to the characteristic impedance of the line divided by the resistance of the resistor. As the resistance of the resistor changes, the reflection coefficient will also change.