S6.793.12.4.27area of a parallelogram

In summary, the area of a parallelogram with adjacent sides $\vec{P}{Q}$ and $\vec{P}{R}$ is the length of the cross product of these two vectors, which can be calculated using the formula $|PQ \times PR|=\sqrt{()^2+()^2}$. The cross product is only defined for three-dimensional vectors, and in this case, the points given do not have a z-value. However, using the "shortcut" notation, the cross product of two vectors in R^3 can be written as x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}+ z\vec{k} with a length of \
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\tiny{s6.793.12.4.27}$
$\textsf{area of a parallelogram with adjacent sides}\\$
$\textsf{$\vec{P}{Q}$ and $\vec{P}{R}$ is the length of this cross product:}$

\begin{align}
|PQ \times PR|&=\sqrt{()^2+()^2}=
\end{align}

$\textit{new on vectors...
not sure what goes into $()^2$}$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure it isn't "[tex]\sqrt{()^2+ ()^2+ ()^2}[/tex]? The cross product of two vectors, in [tex]R^3[/tex], is a vector in [tex]R^3[/tex] of the form [tex]x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}+ z\vec{k}[/tex] and its length is [tex]\sqrt{x^2+ y^2+ z^2}[/tex].

$\tiny{s6.12.4.27}$
The points given are $(x, y)$ no $z$ values
$A(-2,1), B(0,4), C(4,2), D(2,-1)$
\begin{align}
\vec{A}{B}&=(0+2)i+(4-1)j=2i+3j\\
\vec{B}{C}&=(4-0)i+(2-4)j=4i-2j\\
\vec{A}{B} \times\vec{B}{C}&=
\left|\begin{bmatrix}
4 & -0 \\
2 & -4 \\
\end{bmatrix}\right|=\left|4(4)-0(2)\right|
=\color{red}{16}
\end{align}
☕

Last edited:
karush said:
$\tiny{s6.12.4.27}$
The points given are $(x, y)$ no $z$ values
$A(-2,1), B(0,4), C(4,2), D(2,-1)$
\begin{align}
\vec{A}{B}&=(0+2)i+(4-1)j=2i+3j\\
\vec{B}{C}&=(4-0)i+(2-4)j=4i-2j\\
\vec{A}{B} \times\vec{B}{C}&=
\left|\begin{bmatrix}
4 & -0 \\
2 & -4 \\
\end{bmatrix}\right|=\left|4(4)-0(2)\right|
=\color{red}{16}
\end{align}
☕
That is using what I would consider "short cut" notation- that I don't like! The cross product of vectors is only defined for three dimensional vectors. Given AB= (2, 3) and BC=(4, -2) (why was D given at all?) I would write them as AB= (2, 3, 0) and BC= (4, -2, 0). Of course, then the cross product is a vector in the z direction. Then the cross product is [tex]AB\times BC= \left|\begin{array}{ccc}\vec{i} & \vec{j} & \vec{k}\\ 2 & 3 & 0 \\ 4 & -2 & 0 \end{array}\right|= (0, 0, -16)[/tex]

strictly speaking yes ..

What is the formula for finding the area of a parallelogram?

The formula for finding the area of a parallelogram is base times height, or A = bh.

How do you calculate the area of a parallelogram if the base and height are not given?

If the base and height are not given, you can use the formula A = ½ ab sinC, where a and b are the lengths of the sides of the parallelogram and C is the angle between them.

Can the area of a parallelogram be negative?

No, the area of a parallelogram cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the amount of space that is enclosed within the shape.

Can the area of a parallelogram be greater than the perimeter?

Yes, the area of a parallelogram can be greater than the perimeter. This is because the perimeter only measures the distance around the outside of the shape, while the area measures the amount of space inside the shape.

How is the area of a parallelogram related to the area of a rectangle?

The area of a parallelogram and a rectangle are related because a rectangle is a special type of parallelogram where all angles are right angles. Therefore, the formula for finding the area of a rectangle (A = lw) is a special case of the formula for finding the area of a parallelogram (A = bh).