Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SAE 1055 properties after HEat treatment

1. Apr 29, 2008 #1
    Hi Friends,

I'm looking for the Yield strength, Ultimate tensile strength, Young;s modulus and poisson's ratio of SAE 1055 material after heat treatment for my FE Analysis.

The material undergoes the following heat treatment processes

Through Hardened to 880 C for 2 hours and Oil Quenched (Hardness after hardening = above 50 HRC)

Tempered to 380 C for 2 hours and Air cooled (Hardness after Tempering = 42 – 47 HRC)

I'll be thankful if anyone can help me out.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2008 #2

Science Advisor

Machinery's Handbook has as section that allows you to calculate the yield and ultimate strengths of carbon steels based on hardness levels. My company had done some testing a lot of years ago and for the materials listed, the data correlates quite well. If you stay on the conservative side, you will be in good shape. In the 26th edition, the section starts on page 473. I would highly doubt that Modulus and Poisson's ratio will change from already stated values (29x10^6 psi and .32) and
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  4. Apr 30, 2008 #3
    My sincere thanks for your reply. I've gone through the pages you've mentioned and found a relation which calculates tensile strength form BHN. But I believe the Young's modulus and poisson's ratio also undergo some change after heat treatment. Any suggestions?
  5. Oct 6, 2008 #4
    Predict Mechanical properties based on hardness tests may be useful in some cases but results could be far from reality.

I suggest you check out

its a great materials properties library
  6. Oct 8, 2008 #5

Science Advisor

Like any correlation, the user has to understand the limitations of their usage. In this respect I can say that my company did some testing of this very topic and found a strong correlation as long as the applicable conditions were met. IIRC the section of Machinery's that deals with this does a pretty good job of listing the limitations of this approach.
  7. Nov 12, 2008 #6
    Up to now, I haven't seen any significant change in Young's modulus nor poisson's ratio through heat treatment in usual steel.

Deep cold-drawing does reduce Young's modulus, and subsequent annealing supposedly restores it.

There are exceptions, essentially memory alloys. Also, steel has a lower E modulus when austenitic. But your C60E won't change a bit just because you alter the tempering temperature.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?