Heat treatment for ASTM A182 GrF22 to achieve 220BHN

  • Thread starter Thread starter anthro
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Heat Treatment
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 8K views
anthro
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi guys,

I need some help here on heat treatment. I have a ASTM A182 GrF22 billet. I am just told i need to achieve a hardness of 220BHN. How do I go about precribing the heat treatment steps in order to achieve this hardness? I mean I know about age hardening, tempering, quenching, etc... But how do i spepcify wat steps to do and the temperature and time?

I am not looking for direct answers here, but hopefully someone out there can point me to the right direction or tell me where to start or what to refer to.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks & Regards.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Look in ASTM A182. It's part of the spec. F22V has Brinell hardness of 174-237 according to Table 3. Class 1 and 3 of F22 are considerably lower than 220. I'd suggest you also verify what the customer wants as it doesn't look like you can be assured of 220 BHN.