1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Safe in a car if hit by lighting...NOT b/c of rubber tires?

1. Sep 11, 2015 #1
    So I just learned Gausse's Law and it makes me think: People always say you're safe in a car if it get struck by lighting because of the rubber tires (odd, because tired are like 90%carbon) but isn't it also because a car is a Gaussian sphere? The interior is insulated, sort of, right? If this is true, is the protection from a car acting as a Gaussian Sphere greater or less than the little amount of rubber in the tires?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Dow, welcome to PF :smile: !

Rubber tyres is a myth. Faraday cage (so a plastic car doesn't help...) is the protection. Insulation helps.
    here, here, and here. here a little

4. Sep 11, 2015 #3

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

Think of people in an airplane struck by lightning. I never heard of any of them being shocked.

5. Sep 11, 2015 #4
    Thanks for the info!

6. Sep 11, 2015 #5
    My thoughts exactly! Hey, this physics stuff is kinda cool...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook