Safe in a car if hit by lighting....NOT b/c of rubber tires?

In summary, the conversation discusses the protection of a car from lightning strikes. While some believe that rubber tires offer protection, it is actually the Faraday cage created by the car's metallic exterior that protects passengers. This protection is even greater than the small amount of rubber in the tires. The conversation also mentions that people in airplanes are not shocked during lightning strikes due to the same principle.
IAmDOW
So I just learned Gausse's Law and it makes me think: People always say you're safe in a car if it get struck by lighting because of the rubber tires (odd, because tired are like 90%carbon) but isn't it also because a car is a Gaussian sphere? The interior is insulated, sort of, right? If this is true, is the protection from a car acting as a Gaussian Sphere greater or less than the little amount of rubber in the tires?

Science news on Phys.org
Hello Dow, welcome to PF :smile: !

Rubber tyres is a myth. Faraday cage (so a plastic car doesn't help...) is the protection. Insulation helps.
here, http://www.weather.com/storms/tornado/news/what-happens-when-lightning-hits-car-20140625, and here. here a little

Likes IAmDOW
Think of people in an airplane struck by lightning. I never heard of any of them being shocked.

Thanks for the info!

anorlunda said:
Think of people in an airplane struck by lightning. I never heard of any of them being shocked.
anorlunda said:
My thoughts exactly! Hey, this physics stuff is kinda cool...

Last edited:

1. Can a car protect you from being hit by lightning?

While a car is not completely safe from lightning strikes, it does offer some protection. The metal frame of a car acts as a Faraday cage, meaning that it conducts electricity around the outside of the vehicle and protects the occupants inside.

2. Is it safe to touch the metal parts inside a car during a lightning storm?

No, it is not safe to touch any metal parts inside a car during a lightning storm. While the metal frame of the car may offer some protection, touching any metal parts inside the car can still result in a shock if lightning strikes the car.

3. Are rubber tires the only reason a car is safe from lightning strikes?

While rubber tires do provide some insulation, they are not the only reason a car is safe from lightning strikes. The metal frame of the car is the main source of protection, as it conducts the electricity around the outside of the vehicle.

4. Can you still be electrocuted inside a car during a lightning storm?

It is possible to be electrocuted inside a car during a lightning storm, although it is very rare. This can occur if lightning strikes the car directly or if it strikes an object nearby and the electricity travels through the ground and into the car.

5. Is it safe to use electronic devices inside a car during a lightning storm?

It is generally not recommended to use electronic devices inside a car during a lightning storm. While the metal frame of the car may offer some protection, there is still a risk of the devices being damaged or the occupants being harmed if lightning strikes the car directly.