Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sakurai: gravitational repulsion

1. Jul 13, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I was reading Sakurai's "Invariance Principles and Elementary particles". In first chapter, second paragraph (page 3), there is a line "The analogous dimensionless constant that characterizes the gravitational repulsion between two protons is .......".

Any body likes to comment on this, why there is gravitational repulsion or this is just a typo.

Thanks,

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2011 #2
    Any body home?

4. Jul 13, 2011 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure this helps, but I found this under Gravitational Coupling Constant on wikipedia:

Looks like it is talking about the repulsion from the electric charge, not gravity. But I haven't read Sakurai's book, so I don't really know.

5. Jul 13, 2011 #4

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds like a typo to me. Maybe if you quoted more context, we'd be able to tell better.

6. Jul 13, 2011 #5
    Hilbert describes a gravitational repulsion which is velocity dependent, IOWs, the gravitational interaction changes at relativistic (coordinate) velocities, reaching a repulsion at a critical velocity of c/ sq.rt(2)....
    http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0904/0904.1578v1.pdf

So this seems like a reference to an application of Hilbert gravitational repulsion to sub-atomic particles which includes their charge.

Creator

7. Jul 13, 2011 #6

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Loinger is a kook. The paper you linked to was not published in a peer-reviewed journal. Please review PF rules https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380 , which state: "It is against our Posting Guidelines to discuss, in the PF forums or in blogs, new or non-mainstream theories or ideas that have not been published in professional peer-reviewed journals or are not part of current professional mainstream scientific discussion."

In any case, the repulsion would not occur in the case of two protons.

8. Jul 14, 2011 #7
    Here are more lines:

"The various classes of fundamental interactions are characterized by coupling constants that differ in many orders of magnitude. The electromagnetic coupling is characterized by the well-known dimensionless constant 1/137. The analogous dimensionless constant that characterizes the gravitational repulsion between two protons is [itex]G^{2}_{grav} M^{2}_{p}/\hbar c = 2 \times 10^{-39} [/itex], which shows that we can essentially ignore gravity in discussing elementary particle phenomena.

9. Jul 14, 2011 #8

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, this is clearly just a typo. Instead of "gravitational repulsion," it should say "gravitational attraction."

10. Jul 14, 2011 #9
    Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook