Same number of roots for derivative as function

In summary, the author is looking for a function with two real roots and derivative that has two real roots. He is having a difficult time visualizing it and is looking for help.
Persimmon

Homework Statement

Provide an example of a function such that f(x) has two and only two real roots and f'(x) has two and only two real roots, where f is defined for all real numbers and differentiable everywhere on its domain.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that if a function has n roots, it's derivative has to have at least n-1 roots. But I can't for the life of me visualize a function that would have two zeroes and have it's derivative also have exactly two zeroes. If anyone could give me a hint I'd be super thankful.

I don't know if this is enough of an attempt within the community guidelines but I'm really stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Persimmon said:

Homework Statement

Provide an example of a function such that f(x) has two and only two real roots and f'(x) has two and only two real roots, where f is defined for all real numbers and differentiable everywhere on its domain.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that if a function has n roots, it's derivative has to have at least n-1 roots. But I can't for the life of me visualize a function that would have two zeroes and have it's derivative also have exactly two zeroes. If anyone could give me a hint I'd be super thankful.

I don't know if this is enough of an attempt within the community guidelines but I'm really stuck.

Did you try to sketch a graph that works? I don't think that's so hard. Once you've got that, if you are having a hard time writing an explicit function that looks like that you could always resort to defining it piecewise, as long as the function and the derivative are continuous where the pieces join up.

Likes 1 person
Thanks, it seems really obvious to me now. D'oh!

What does it mean for a derivative to have the same number of roots as the original function?

When a function and its derivative have the same number of roots, it means that there are an equal number of points where both the function and its derivative have a value of zero. These points are known as critical points.

What does it indicate if a function and its derivative have different numbers of roots?

If a function and its derivative have different numbers of roots, it indicates that the behavior of the function is changing at certain points. This could mean that the function has a point of inflection, a discontinuity, or a sharp change in direction.

How can the number of roots for a derivative be determined?

The number of roots for a derivative can be determined by finding the critical points, or points where the derivative is equal to zero. These points can be found by setting the derivative equal to zero and solving for the variable.

What is the significance of a function and its derivative having the same number of roots?

When a function and its derivative have the same number of roots, it indicates that the function is continuously changing in a smooth manner. This is important in understanding the behavior and characteristics of a function.

Are there any exceptions to the rule that a function and its derivative have the same number of roots?

Yes, there are exceptions to this rule. For example, a function with a horizontal tangent line will have a derivative of zero at that point, but the function itself may have a different number of roots. Additionally, functions with vertical tangent lines or sharp corners will also have different numbers of roots for the function and its derivative.