Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Saturation Intensity and Power

1. Nov 3, 2014 #1

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Hi, I am not sure if this is an easy question, but I've been looking around and I haven't been able to find some exact equation to this.
    I performed an experiment where I allowed for a laser beam to go through a cell (of Rubidium-85 and 87) and got the resulting spectrum. The initial [100%] power was [itex]P_{in}= 100 \mu W[/itex]... Then using different transition rate ([itex]T[/itex]) plates I was able to change the power of the beam...
    So I was able to get the spectra's amplitudes [itex]A[/itex] and widths [itex]\Delta v[/itex] for different [itex]P_{incident}[/itex] (check attachments)...

How is the [itex] P_{incident}(A), P_{incident}((\Delta v)^2)[/itex] can give the saturation power [itex]P_{sat}[/itex] and intensity [itex]I_{sat}[/itex] ? In fact I don't know with what function to fit these [itex]P[/itex]'s since I only got 5 values and the function form is not obvious.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook