Sawtooth wave generator from operational amplifiers

In summary: That offset will be in the negative direction, which will make it align with the graph better.In summary, the question asks for a circuit that produces a sawtooth waveform, and suggests using a summing amplifier and a negative offset to get the waveform centered at 0V. The questioner also suggests using a harmonic multiplier to adjust the amplitude of each harmonic.
Ravrage

Homework Statement

upload_2018-9-12_14-8-26.png

Homework Equations

See above in the question

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need to be using a summing amp with the sinusoidal terms but I am struggling to calculate the input values that I need, also I think I need a capacitor in place of R6 but I'm not entirely sure. Any help is much appreciated :)

upload_2018-9-12_14-26-25.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-12_14-8-26.png
    upload_2018-9-12_14-8-26.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,043
  • upload_2018-9-12_14-26-25.png
    upload_2018-9-12_14-26-25.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 851
Physics news on Phys.org
A couple quick comments...

That series for the sawtooth doesn't look quite right (but I could be wrong). The terms should have alternating signs, no? See the figure below.

It looks like your U2 is upside down. Positive feedback may be useful somewhere in this circuit, but I don't think you want it in the output stage...

https://www.sfu.ca/sonic-studio-webdav/handbook/Graphics/Fourier_Series.gif

Fourier_Series.gif

Attachments

• Fourier_Series.gif
    Fourier_Series.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 1,455
good spot thanks!

Also, i did think making the alternate sources negative but that does not seem to afftect the output so I think my design may be wrong that's why I was considering a capacitor to store the voltage until it gets to 5 then disperse to form the correct wave form as shown in the question. thanks for the reply

Ravrage said:
Also, i did think making the alternate sources negative but that does not seem to afftect the output so I think my design may be wrong that's why I was considering a capacitor to store the voltage until it gets to 5 then disperse to form the correct wave form as shown in the question. thanks for the reply
Yeah, using an integrate-and-dump circuit would be the way I would normally make a sawtooth generator circuit, but it seems they want you to use a summing amplifier on all of the input terms that you are provided. I think the main things you need to get right in your circuit is to scale and offset the output correctly based on the input waveforms.

Yeah that's what I'm struggling with but thanks anyway :)

Ravrage said:
Yeah that's what I'm struggling with but thanks anyway :)
So just start with a summing amplifier stage to add up the 4 input waveforms. That will give you an approximation of a sawtooth waveform, but with too large an amplitude and centered at 0V instead of running 0V to 5V as shown in the graph. Then what can you do to offset the output waveform in the positive direction to get closer to the final graph.

Also, keep in mind that you may need to multiply every other term by -1, if the information that I posted is correct. Maybe look around at other sources of information about Fourier series expansions of the sawtooth waveform to see if they alternate terms...

There won't be input waveforms from the DC sources would there? Sorry if I'm way off the mark but this question really has me confused

Ravrage said:
There won't be input waveforms from the DC sources would there? Sorry if I'm way off the mark but this question really has me confused
I was confused about the DC sources shown in your schematic. The question looks like it wants you to base the opamp circuit on the "Black Box", which has the 4 sinusoidal input waveforms, and produces something close to the desired sawtooth waveform at its output. Where did the idea of using DC sources in the circuit come from?

definitely me. I had a silly moment, sorry, don't know why I had it in my head that the Sinusoidal (big, massive clue there) was a DC input. I've designed a new circuit so that I'm able to get a square wave, and a capacitance wave, just struggling to get the harmonics right for the sawtooth

Ravrage said:
definitely me. I had a silly moment, sorry, don't know why I had it in my head that the Sinusoidal (big, massive clue there) was a DC input. I've designed a new circuit so that I'm able to get a square wave, and a capacitance wave, just struggling to get the harmonics right for the sawtooth
The harmonic amplitudes (relative) are defined by the Fourier expansion equation. You need to adjust the overall gain to get the correct total amplitude, and you need to add in an offset so the waveform has that DC component shown in the graph.

What is a sawtooth wave generator from operational amplifiers?

A sawtooth wave generator is a circuit that produces a sawtooth wave using operational amplifiers. It is commonly used in electronic devices for various applications such as frequency modulation, time-base generation, and waveform generation.

How does a sawtooth wave generator work?

The circuit typically consists of an operational amplifier, a feedback resistor, and a capacitor. The capacitor charges and discharges through the feedback resistor, creating a ramp-like waveform that resembles a sawtooth. The operational amplifier amplifies and shapes this waveform to produce a stable and accurate sawtooth wave.

What are the advantages of using operational amplifiers in a sawtooth wave generator?

Operational amplifiers have high gain, input impedance, and bandwidth, making them ideal for generating precise and stable sawtooth waves. They also have the ability to amplify and shape the waveform, allowing for more flexibility in the output signal.

What are the applications of a sawtooth wave generator from operational amplifiers?

Sawtooth wave generators are commonly used in various electronic devices, including function generators, synthesizers, and oscilloscopes. They are also used in industries such as telecommunications, music production, and research laboratories.

Are there any limitations to using a sawtooth wave generator from operational amplifiers?

One limitation is the accuracy of the generated waveform, which can be affected by factors such as temperature and component tolerances. Additionally, the waveform may exhibit distortion or noise if the circuit is not designed properly or if the operational amplifier is not of high quality.