Say Goodbye: Time to Bid Farewell on PF Forum

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: I hope you're doing well. Goodbye.In summary, Borek posted that the 13th Baktun of the Mayan calendar has ended, but it's unclear if the world ended or not. He also said that he hope the journey will continue on PF.
Borek
Mentor
It was a great pleasure meeting all of you people, discussing things with you, be it those scientifically valuable or those small and petty subjects that appear randomly from nowhere. Discussions, moderation and administration of the forum were all a source of great pleasure to me, and I really appreciate years spent at PF, but nothing lasts for ever. I am afraid our voyage together came to an end.

Honesty doesn't allow me to promise things I am not sure I will be able to deliver. In the anticipation of the upcoming events I can't assume I will have enough time and stamina to be able to spend so many hours on the forum I used to. I will do my best to help moderate and administrate the forum till the end of the world, but not any longer.

Goodbye!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it almost midnight in Poland?

You haven't made it to the PF Mentors EOTW bunker by now?

chemisttree said:
You haven't made it to the PF Mentors EOTW bunker by now?
Oh NOOO! Borek! We forgot to tell him about the EOTW PF bunker!

Fortunately a brave soul will be jumping through a magic portal tomorrow that will save the world, so, back to work buddy!

Not to worry. I've invented a time machine and will go back in time to visit the Mayans to convince them to add more time to their calendar. I have some scheduling conflicts though, so I probably won't be able to go until next week.

Borg said:
Not to worry. I've invented a time machine and will go back in time to visit the Mayans to convince them to add more time to their calendar. I have some scheduling conflicts though, so I probably won't be able to go until next week.
:bugeye:

It's true that the world will be ending tomorrow... for certain people. How many people die on average every day? Probably in the thousands? For thousands of people, tomorrow will be the end of the world. I hope we're not one of them.

berkeman said:
Is it almost midnight in Poland?

It was 13 minutes past midnight when Borek posted. Now we have lost radio contact.

Borg said:

Why does this sound so similar to "I have a marvellous proof, but the margin is too small to contain it."? :biggrin:

Happy New Baktun, Borek.

George Jones said:
It was 13 minutes past midnight when Borek posted. Now we have lost radio contact.

I suppose these are receiving lots of play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzqiPvGrkTo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-5oGnvfUEU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzA6Gl5CYYU

Well, world didn't end. I feel cheated.

I woke up, a searing light in the sky blinded me. I was certain the world was ending, but NOOooOOO, just another sunny day. :grumpy:

Borek said:
Well, world didn't end. I feel cheated.

It ain't over till it becomes 12mn on the 22nd in Mexico. It's like the "Ides of March have come, but not gone" deal. :biggrin:

Curious3141 said:
It ain't over till it becomes 12mn on the 22nd in Mexico. It's like the "Ides of March have come, but not gone" deal. :biggrin:
Despite all the pomp, no one is certain the period known as the Mayas' 13th Baktun officially ended Friday. Some think it may have happened at midnight. Others looked to Friday's dawn here in the Maya heartland. Mexico's National Institute of Anthropology and History even suggested historical calculations to synchronize the Mayan and Western calendars might be off a few days. It said the Mayan Long Count calendar cycle might not really end until Sunday.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57560400/mayan-calendar-reaches-its-end-world-doesnt-follow-suit/

Our voyage will continue on PF. No more doomsday predictions.

You've helped me and many other people. For years, patiently. I and all those people are in debt with you, so I'll think in buying Chembuddy suite someday. Until I have a functional Paypal or card.
Thanks.

1. What is the purpose of "Say Goodbye: Time to Bid Farewell on PF Forum"?

The purpose of this forum is for members of the PF community to say goodbye and bid farewell to each other, as well as the forum itself.

2. Why is the forum closing down?

The forum is closing down due to various reasons, such as declining activity and financial difficulties.

3. Can I still access the forum after it closes?

No, the forum will be permanently closed and inaccessible after the designated closing date.

4. Is there a way to save the forum's content before it closes?

Yes, members are encouraged to save any important discussions or information before the forum closes.

5. Will there be a replacement forum for PF?

At this time, there are no plans for a replacement forum. However, members are welcomed to connect with each other through other platforms or communities.