Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scaling node coordinates to a fixed graph size

1. Jan 12, 2009 #1
    Hi, suppose i have various graphs which each have many nodes. In one graph the nodes x and y values may be within the range 0-1000, in another the x values may range from 100-500 and the y values from 300-800. Basically, the ranges always vary and there is no consistency.

I need a way to scale the values of the x and y coordinates such that they fit inside a fixed graph size (say 500 by 500) such that the graph retains in basic layout and relative distances between nodes.

Probably not that hard a question, i just cant figure it out :). Thx for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If your graph x and y range from 0 to A and you want it to fit inside 0 to B, multiply all coordinates by B/A.

For example, if you x and y coordinates are always between 0 and 1000 and you want it to fit inside 0 to 500 multiply all coordinates by 500/1000= 1/2. So, for example, the point (900,800) would change to (450, 400).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?