Scanning Electron Microscopy of Graphene

In summary, the speaker has successfully created monolayer graphene on copper through a chemical vapour deposition process and has observed it under an SEM. They are confident that the contrast they see is graphene due to the growth patterns commonly reported in literature. They have attached an image for others to see and have asked for help understanding if it is possible to determine the number of layers of graphene under an SEM and what the smallest separation between two objects that can be resolved with secondary electrons is. They also mention being new to SEM and appreciate any guidance. In response, someone suggests using EDS or Raman spectroscopy to determine the thickness of the graphene layer. The speaker is interested in using electron diffraction to determine thickness with training.
stefan741
Hi Everyone,

I have recently made some graphene on copper via a chemical vapour deposition process. I have also managed to have a peep under an SEM at this. I do see what I believe to be monolayer graphene. I am very sure the contrast I see is graphene due to the growth patterns, ranging from hexagonal to star shaped, very commonly reported in literature. The contrast I see (between Cu and graphene) is simply one shade, and does not show any layering (if you imagine different contrasts for more or less layers) which could indicate several layers. I do expect monolayer graphene simply from the nature of CVD of graphene on Copper but really would like to understand this further. I have attached an image for you to see.

The questions I have are:

Under an SEM is it possible to tell if you have monolayer graphene? And if yes, how?

Using an SEM what is the smallest separation between two objects that can be resolved with secondary electrons?

I'm very new to SEM and any help or guidance with these questions will be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Attachments

• s2s3back.jpg
    s2s3back.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,039
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you use EDS to determine which was the graphene and which was the Cu?

When you look at the graphene's EDS, do you also see signatures of Cu? If you do, then maybe one can estimate the thickness of the graphene's layer from the intensity of the Cu signal (when compared to the bare Cu). That should tell you if you have only a monolayer of graphene or not.

Zz.

stefan741 said:
Under an SEM is it possible to tell if you have monolayer graphene? And if yes, how?

I doubt it. AFAIK you need to use Raman to be 100% sure. There are also various SPM technques (Kelvin etc) that give you contrast between one and two layers.

Thanks for your responses, I really appreciate them :)

I have been very sceptical that it was possible to determine number of layers of graphene by simply looking at picture contrast from the SEM and believe that even if it is possible it is more than likely very unreliable, however I thought I would ask just in case somebody came up with a fantastic answer here.

Zapperz I think this may be a solution for me as from what I understand it is possible to determine the graphene thickness using electron diffraction form the ratio of intensities from the graphene and underlying substrate. I just have not used diffraction methods before and will need to be trained. But this will be good for me as I should be able to get an image of the sample and determine it's thickness with EDS both using the SEM I believe.

f95toli from what I understand Raman is the best technique to determine number of graphene layers, however unfortunately I still need training in Raman spectroscopy.

Thanks again for your answers.

1. How does scanning electron microscopy (SEM) work?

SEM works by using a beam of electrons to scan the surface of a sample. The electrons interact with the atoms on the surface, producing signals that can be detected and converted into an image.

2. What is graphene and why is it important to study with SEM?

Graphene is a single layer of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice. It is a promising material for various applications due to its unique properties, such as high strength and electrical conductivity. SEM allows for high-resolution imaging of graphene, providing valuable information for research and development.

3. How does SEM help in understanding the structure of graphene?

SEM can provide detailed images of the surface of graphene, allowing researchers to observe the arrangement of carbon atoms and any defects or impurities present. It can also be used to measure the thickness and properties of graphene layers.

4. What are the advantages of using SEM over other microscopy techniques for studying graphene?

SEM offers higher resolution and depth of field compared to other microscopy techniques, making it ideal for studying the atomic structure of graphene. It also allows for the imaging of non-conductive samples without the need for special preparation techniques.

5. Can SEM be used for more than just imaging graphene?

Yes, SEM can be used for a variety of samples and materials, such as metals, ceramics, and biological samples. It is a versatile tool for studying the surface morphology, composition, and structure of different materials at a microscopic level.